Essence Holo Wow Dewy Lip Shine in 04 Dragonfly Shimmer

If you dig back far enough into my blog archive, you will know that I am a huge fan of "wacky" gloss, from the sheer blue of Benefit California Kissin, the golden green Diorkiss Granny Smith, Lilac and Green Mac Tendertone (boy I miss their old lippie formula), the Apple Green from Revlon 2011 Summer and Wet n Wild Venice Beach Collection...I love them all. Since I have very flustered lips during summer, many of these wacky gloss tone down my lip color and adds the right amount of juicy shine (oh they look so refreshing too). 

When I saw these fun glosses on Essence's display, I was like why not? It was only around 5 bucks (not expensive but not cheap enough for me to haul multiple). 
There was also a green (that looked a little too intense)so I went with this gorgeous shimmering aqua. As you can see here, there is also a strong purple fuchsia duo chrome. 
The standard doe foot wand and the texture is nothing special. The same old semi tacky gloss that we had a decade ago.  And since the entire sponge tip is soaked blue, I started to suspect that this might not be the clear blue I was expecting.
A single dab shows that this is actually very intense. One layer is enough to give a very noticeable blue tint. 
On the lips Essence Holo Wow Dewy Lip Shine has a clear blue and purple tone. At the same time, it also has a natural gray undertone. Natural in a way that it reminds me on the gray pigmentation shown around lips (actually it make me feel like an  uncooked squid?).

To me the formula is fun but unwearable for grown up. I could use it to adjust and cool down lipsticks but my own lip color is already doing that. I think the current ongoing trend for drugstore brand wacky lip colors is that they actually look true to colors *shudders*. Great news for (I don't know? People who like green lipsticks) but sad news for me...

Comments

  1. That reminds me of Lipstick Queen Hello Sailor. Berry? Nope. It just stays blue on my lips =.=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have hello sailor (mini) and never used it...I wander if the color changing still work after three years.

      Delete
  2. I want to also buy the Clarins lip oil, I saw you reviewed one not long ago. Revlon also have a new lip oil out too lolz. I also noticed that expanded the Super Lustrous lipglosses to now 24 shades, must be selling well for them to expand it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing I liked about the clarins lip oil is the big cushy applicator and some colors, to be honest the gloss itself is the fake kind of moisturizing (a wet greasy layer that stays on top of lips but doesnt pump in moisture). During winter all it does it sits on top, fades into waxy film and settle into lip line...

      I don't love the new revlon superlustrous but the watery formula is at least somewhat hydrating.

      Delete
  3. The only good shades are 03 redberry, 04 candy and 05 tangerine. All the rest are pretty much transparent. I do like it though. It's not really an oil but more like thick gloss.

    Lolz sometimes I regret throwing out the makeup I destashed. They are mostly drugstore stuff from like 5-10 years ago, all now discontinued. I know I'll never use it again due to shade, formula etc but somewhere in the back of my head is telling me I shouldn't of thrown it out. I guess it's hoarding FOMO sydrome lolz LMBO. Same with clothes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a blackberry shade (from last summer) of clarins lip oil that looks pretty cute as well, I should dig it out and review it haha...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.