Clarins Joli Rouge Brilliant in Guava 756S

Another oldie from two years ago...Because I was a careless shopper who didn't know any better.
Clarins Joli Rouge was a random purchase from Macy's, they must have raised the price (to $30) because I wouldn't have spend this much on Clarins. 
The packaging of Joli Rouge is nice and weighty, with a plastic inner sleeve. Something went loose quickly that I could no longer close it securely (see that little gap?).
The lipstick has a distinct shape and a curve that's easy to use. 
While swatching at the counter, I decided to go with 756S Guava, a slightly reddish coral that looks healthy, flush-like and shiny.  While not apparent on the stick, this shade does have very fine mist of shimmer through out. The lipstick has a natural sweet scent that's a little old school but not annoying.
 
Joli Rouge is a sheer (but packs a great deal of pigment compared to most Japanese brands), oily kind of shiny and feels moderately moisturizing even thought it's light. It feels good but the formula travels around my mouth easily, leaving a messy boundary. 

Theoretically, I love all coral lipsticks but Guava has a fair bit of nudy pink, beige and red mixed in...combined with the medium pigmentation and shimmer, the overall look is dated and aging, in a friendly grandma sort of way. At first I couldn't pin point what's with it that I don't like...Then it hit me.
That's the kind of shade Renee Zellwegger wore in Bridget Jone's diary! I like the movie and all but I can't pull off that shade without her rosy complexion...
Trying to salvage the shade by layering with a sheer red gloss (One by Dear Laura)...I think this even looks more 2000s now. 

Overall: Unfortunate shade choice aside, Joli Rouge Brilliant is an expensive lipstick that looks a little cheap (on me)...I get better deal spending the money on several Canmake/Cezanne lipsticks instead.

Comments

  1. I like these Clarins lippies, but I hate their bulky tubes and I think the fragrance could be tone down, like, 100% LOL But otherwise the formula is pretty decent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as the cap start malfunctioning this became a no-go. I would say this color should be more flattering on blonde hair blue eyed people...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.