Innisfree Real Fit Lipstick in 20

Bubbles bound to burst - We have just witnessed the bursting of financial bubbles. The influencers industry is still hanging there (nowadays they are just as trustworthy and relatable as sex advices from Glamour) and I have been wondering for a while... How much longer is the whole KBeauty bubble going to last?

As much as I love my Sulwasoo eye cream and Romand lip gloss, I think the hype surrounding Korean beauty was blown way out of proportion: What was a common interest in a niche got pushed into mainstream stardom, touted as affordable yet 3/5/7/12 years advanced... What I personally experienced is different from those claims. There are some great products and not so great ones (overall not better or worse compared to brands available locally).

Let's face it, if the big American conglomerates are really convinced that KBeauty is advanced, superior and will take over their market share, they would have bought out the brands,  either by taking over their loyal customers, milking off the cash cow (SK-II) or buying up the  brand, eliminating the competition (I am forever bitter about Shu Uemura).

L'Oreal did take over 3ce, putting the youthful and hip brand into luxury price point that alienate its fan base (reminds me of Michelle Phan's em).

 What really got me thinking about the whole bubble thing was the proliferation of Innisfree (The Korean version of the Body Shop) in NYC. Since its debut at Union Square, Innisfree  was spreading like dandelion, opening stores after store in all the prime locations. I was bewildered as their first location doesn't even have that great of a foot traffic...The other ones at Lexington Ave and Ktown had been criket quiet every time I passed by.

Are they that convinced about those online hype and popularity would sustain multiple prime locations? Or they are convinced that those press hype would someday realize into real enthusiasm? 
I got this Real Fit lipstick when Innisfree first opened its Union Square store...Hence the "fashiony" choice of color (that quickly went out of style a year later).  But seriously though, the lipstick swatched very nice on the back of the hand and back then I was still "dating" with this glamourzed KBeauty ideal (funnily during their grand opening, Innisfree did hire half a dozen leggy oppa to be the doorman their store, eye candies indeed). 

I mean now I realize they don't work on me (just got loads of stuff that I didn't review). 
The white tube is simple with a crisp click. But when opened it has a weird proportion...
20 was the burnished pumpkin that was all the rage....And it went out of style soon after.
Recycled my swatch comparison picture sice I don't have that many brown lipsticks. 
On the lips...Oh great it has a white base again. The only way to wear it is to put a small swipe and spread it allover like a stain (and I do like the effect) but my lips are too flakey to demonstrate it. I like the finger blotted effect ...It doesn't make the range stand and certainly not amazing enough to warrant 3 Manhattan locations. If anything, Cezanne and Canmake both have similar shades that look more edited/timeless.

Not really comparable but here was a Sally Hansen Natural Beauty red brown lipstick, for something out of 2008. The brownish red was both timeless and universal...

Comments

  1. White base? What’s that o_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something to do with the formulation. I don't know which ingredients that cause it, a lot of YSL lipsticks have that white base color that makes it opaque but can look off on skin. It's also happens with those so called sheer formula, when a white-based sheer lipstick sits on lips (that are more pigmented), it sits on top and look kind of milky/patchy.

      I prefer clear based, a well formulated nude can be both opaque and clear based. Maybe I will try to show it later...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.