Ole Henriksen Sugar Polishing Mask and Melting Cleanser

I am fickle and impulsive when it comes to buying stuff but when I find something I like, I tend to hoard backups (as long as the price point is agreeable). In the case of these Ole Henriksen cleansers, it wasn't a repurchase fueled by love but more of a TJ-maxx made me do it.
I first tried the Truth Sugar Glow polishing mask in a sample set, I supposed I liked it enough to shell out 30+ dollars for a full sized tub. It's a grainy scrub in a jelly base. The citrus scent was pleasant, not too sweet or zesty (you know sometime it got too much zing that it irritates? Not with this). It scrubs away dead skin while gently being dissolved by warm water. The sugar also nourishes the skin without being soapy or sticky after rinsing.
A big tub doesn't last too long since I can use it twice away. At around $33 something it was a little steep, it was okay since I enjoyed the experience of using it for shower right before bed. 

Just a few months after my purchase, Ole Henriksen revamped their whole line and now it's "Moment of Truth 2-in-1 Polishing Mask" and costs 42 bucks...I might look like a sucker but that's just too rich for my blood. Luckily, I was saw the discontinued version at TJ-maxx. 13 bucks doesn't hurt, right? 

Ok next.
2017 was the year I got super religious about sunscreen (and totally slacked off since summer 2018 because it had been too darn humid) so a thick gel/oil remover is a must have to remove clingy physical sunscreen. I remember getting my first tub from Sephora and hated (but finished using) it...When I saw it at TJ maxx for 13bucks, I thought maybe I would overlook its downfall when the price is slashed by 60%. Nope, still hate it. 
 
While being fun to poke, the smell of the jelly is slightly rubbery and detergent-like. When used on dry skin, it doesn't spread well and my sunscreen remains rock solid. With a bit of water, it emulsifies right away, blurs my vision while leaving everything tacky (and 60% of sunscreen is still there). It's terrible as my base remover and I need several washes  (with both milky and foaming cleanser) just to get rid of the residue. 

Consider my shiseido foaming wash is enough to wash away sunscreen (but it has been too stripping for the Northeast climate), this cleansing jelly totally defeats of the purpose. Essentially, it's an incompetent gentle cleanser that needs a harsh cleanser to go away.

Comments

  1. How does the sugar mask compare to Skinfood Black Sugar? I personally prefer a cleansing oil in solid or liquid form. Anything else just doesn't quite give me that satisfaction of feeling the sunscreen getting melted off. I guess some folks don't like the oily feel and hence and the creams, gels, and even just cleansing water, but it's got to be an oil for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's less packed than skinfood (regular black sugar), without soapy base and the loose grain might feel sandy (but the particles arent sharp at all). It just feels and smells more natural.

      I like cleansing oil as well but a lot of cheapo korean one still has the same issue being thin, emulsifies too quickly and doesnt cleanse that well...I am liking cleansing balm which feels a bit more pampering. I tried this before all other Asian ones so it really sucks, even rosette makes a decent one for a few bucks.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.