Quick Cleanser Reviews - Kikumasamune, Sekkisei, Sana Honeyshca, Origins and Jurlique

Once upon a time, there was one cleanser that I loved (Shiseido white lucent cleansing foam) so much that I stayed faithful to it for 7 years. Sadly when I moved away from Texas, that particular formula became too stripping and was ruining my skin barrier. (Actually, this past summer was so damn hot and humid that I was able to use it again for two months). 

Having learned my lesson on skin barrier, I have now adopted new habit of using gentler ones and I have gone through quite a few tubes and bottles. 
Kikumasamune Skincare Cleansing is a light gel with sake extract that also works as makeup remover. It has a slick texture and a faint but annoying enough bubblegum scent just like their lotion. 

It's completely useless against dry-touch physical sunscreen as the gel slides right off. As a morning cleanser, it's gentle and moisturizing. I don't like it but maybe I will  be able to finish it. 

It had been sitting in my bathroom for a year now.

Sekkisei White Foaming wash is something I got on a whim when I wanted to try a cleansing powder. The white powder is heavily fragranced and highly airborne, every time I opened the bottle it felt like biochemical attack. As a facial cleanser it's very soapy and  harsh that I stopped using it after two tries.

I think the powder (when dampened into a paste) can be quite practical for cleaning out the dirt around neck area...But then it was still a inhaling hazard with that fragrance. At the end, I repurposed it as undie detergent for "those days of the month" and finished it reluctantly.

Funnily, it reminds me of my maternal grandfather coming to visit when I still lived in south of China. I distinctly remember that man loved powdered detergent ...He used it for clothes, on his head/buzz cut. Being the hardworking farmer who couldn't just chill and do nothing, he gave our leather couch a deep cleansing (yup, with detergent), while mother was at work.

As a loving grandad for his granddaughter/not me (my cousin, the one carrying his name) he would also hide/take some of my clothes and hair clips and bring it to his real granddaughter. I learned that many years later, when my cousin told me. (My mom was "Huh, no wonder your clothes kept disappearing...")
Sana (a predominately skincare brand with several small but well-liked makeup line) Honeyshca is a honey themed skincare line that focused on moisturizing. The cleansing gel is slightly scented, semi runny and doesn't foam at all. It's surprisingly effective at removing makeup and gentle cleansing.

I can use it as first cleanser (and frankly I don't really need a second cleanser afterward)or as gentle face wash in the morning. For something this fluid, I don't need a lot to work with. 
CosRX Low pH Good Morning Cleanser is a clear foaming cleansing gel that bubbles a lot. I found it stripping initially but it was squeaky enough for this past summer. There is a medicine smell that took a few days to get used to. 

It was good at washing off all the grease, sweat and skincare residue in the morning and that's all. There are dozens of products like this in US drugstore and I don't get why it (and the whole KBeauty as a whole) is portrayed as an affordable yet super rad on the internet. 

They can claim Kbeauty being the best coolest all they want but it rubs me in the wrong way when I googled Hanazawa Rui (Japanese character in manga) and the result on top is this 
Urgh don't you dare messing with jdorama search result! If I want the Korean drama I would have typed that instead...

Now you know my pet peeve.
Jurlique Rose Moisture Plus Hydrating Moisturizing cleanser is a semi pasty milk that bubbles moderately. It cleanses alright and and the powdery, tart rose scent isn't unpleasant (admittedly Glossier is my preferred rose). 

L'Oreal revitalift cream cleanser is texturally very similar and only 1/3 the cost of Jurlique, there is no reason to pick the more expensive one. 
Dr Weil for Origins Mega Mushroom skin relief micellar water (phew, long name) is more of a soothing makeup remover. I found it at marshalls for 15 bucks and thought it was reasonable price. I used it to wipe off greasy sunscreen (Anessa), eye makeup and lipstick when I was on swatchathon. 

It makes my skin clean, calmed and refreshed before I properly wash my face (sometimes a few hours later) and nothing extra. I repurchased once at Marshalls price but don't think I want to spend 33 bucks on it when I run out.

Comments

  1. Holy cow, how long did it take you to use up all those cleansers? I made the mistake of buying a giant tube of Origins Plantscription cleanser and have only managed to use up half through the past year ^.^"

    I actually have a bottle of Boscia powder wash too and am iffy it might be highly airborne as well, like the DHC powder wash I used aged ago when I had to hold my breath while dispensing it. Ha.

    Your grandpa played favorites, huh? =.=

    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me the longest to finish the sekkisei (picture was from fall 2016) but the other went quick...It's almost like a month or two each.

      I wasn't that close to the laundry detergent grandpa since my mom was youngest of five, and he had many real grandkids and great grand kids before me...I got my own grandparents (dad's side) who spolied me rotten though.

      Delete
  2. I also permanently damaged my skin barrier when I was younger. I had acne and I would wash n scrub by face to no end, and I also didn't wear sunscreen so now my face is pretty much f*tucked up. I suffer from rosacea as a result and have to wear full coverage foundation, hence my never ending search for the HG foundation. There not much I can do about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you mean the acid mantle, if you use gentler cleanser and ditch further exfoliation it heals after a while (it did for me after a year) . The spots takes a bit longer to fade since they are accumulative...

      The permanent damage I saw were some icepick scar and small dent on my face from the irritation acne, I suppose they won't go away unless it's lasered off.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried the Ettusais jelly mousse cleansers?
    I am also intrigued by Medicube zero foam. They both seem extra foamy
    [me creepily commenting on a 1yr old post]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.