Ole Henriksen Skincare: Vitamin C Serum, Cream and Facial Oil

Time to start reviewing all the skincare I bought last fall! Around September, Sephora was running a point sale (earn 2x point on each purchase)I went ahead and started testing some sets.  It seems that I am more susceptible to the Wholefoods type of brands (or anything citrus), my first damage was in the form of Ole Henriksen, which to me is a high end version of Lumene.

The set is called The Whole Truth Vitamin C Kit, including a serum, eye cream and moisturizer.


 Truth Serum Collagen Booster 
 
 Water (Aqua), Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Calcium Ascorbate, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Euphrasia Officinalis Extract, Rosa Canina Fruit Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Oleth-20, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Benzophenone-4, Sodium Hyaluronate, Thioctic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Citric Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Fragrance (Parfum), Yellow 6 

This is a vitamin C gel serum scented like orange candy. It has a light, hydrating texture that emulsify (ewww) a little and leaves an uncomfortable layer of stickiness. It didn't cause any major reaction on my face and I also noticed no scar-fading effect when I used it semi-regularly for two weeks.  Half way through the bottle, I decided to use it on my leg where there is a patch of chemical burn. Nada, still nothing (while other vitamin C serum I have repurposed for my leg managed to work).
 Truth Creme Advanced Hydration

Aqua/Water/Eau, Glycerin, Squalane, Triheptanoin, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Candelilla/Jojoba/Rice Bran Polyglyceryl-3 Esters, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5, Ceramide 2, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Hydrolyzed Viola Tricolor Extract, Calcium Ascorbate, Rosa Canina Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Saccharum Officinarium (Sugar Cane) Extract, Acer Saccharinum (Sugar Maple) Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Soybean Sterols, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Macadamia Integrifolia Seed Oil, Bisabolol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Trehalose, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Vaccinium Myrtillus Extract, Sorbitol, Xanthan Gum, Potato Starch Modified, Sodium Phytate, Potassium Sorbate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum/Fragrance 
Truth Creme Advanced Hydration is another product I don't get. It has a consistency of thick lotion and smell of orange-yogurt-gone-bad. For something labeled as hydrating, it doesn't do much, if anything on my face. However, it's great at pretending to, by being extra sticky. 

This kind of texture is a no-go for day time so I reserve it for the evening. I hated it on my face and neck so it was gradually moved to my dry legs. The only reason my legs were dry after a whole night sleep was because it was rubbed allover the inside of my pajamas pants. Cracked skin remained cracked, until I used something else. 
 Total Truth Eye Cream SPF 15

Active ingredients: Avobenzone, Octinoxate, Octisalate
Inactive ingredients: Water (Aqua, Eau), Glycerin, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Dimethicone, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Stearic Acid, Stearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Glycery Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Ceteareth-20, Phenoxyethanol, Algae Extract, Pullulan, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Allantoin, Volubilis (Mountain Peanut) 2, Seed Oil, Schinus Terebinthifolius Seed Extract, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Potassium Sorbate, Alcohol, Lecithin.

The eye cream is unremarkable. It wasn't moisturizing or easy to spread and the SPF is too low(Hey, at least the texture isn't yucky). I ended up just using my normal moisturizer and sunscreen around my eyes, touching up with Muji eye cream or essence if needed.

After having finished the whole set, my legs think they deserve better hand-me-down.
Pure Truth Youth Activating Oil  
 
Rosa Mosqueta (Rosehip) Seed Oil (Organic, Virgin) (&) Citrus tangerina (Tangerine) Peel Oil (&) Cymbopogon flexuosus (Lemongrass) Oil (&) Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E)

Rosehip oil has been a staple in my skincare routine, before I even have a routine. Through out the years, I make an active effort to stock up on Sukin or A'Kin whenever I see them at Marshall/TJ-Maxx (which isn't much, given they only had one bottle in stock whenever I did see them). When cheap options aren't available, I look else where.
 
Ole Henriksen Pure Truth Youth Activating Serum is a rosehip oil with a bunch of essential oil(mostly citrus) blended in. I liked the citrus smell (luckily, those oil only cause discomfort when I have them near my eyes) and wanted to take a little break from my trusty Akin.

The bright orange tinted oil is somewhat heavy ( my skin drinks up the whole pumps within 20 minutes) and feels very emollient for winter. It's rather effective at brightening the skintone and help fading acne marks. Given the stronge orange tint, it turns Oompa Loompa easily so I only use it during the night. When I want to mix with a more hydrating oil blend (like Jurlique), I prefer a plain formula free of extra scent.

I actually enjoy using the oil and got two mini bottles (they come with the Vitamin C serum which were practically free). Sephora skincare are all overpriced but at least the minis and sets are worth testing. 

Comments

  1. I have the Truth Serum Collagen Booster! Let's see how it'll work in the super dry climate where I live. Let's hope it won't be too sticky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It pretty hydrating actually, but then I have half a dozen of hydrating serums (half of which actually helps fade the mark) so I didn't feel like using on my face.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.