The Girl with (Too Many) Pearl Earrings

Around end of 2015, thank to a certain Chinese bloggers (yup it's 蚊子雯子 again, the one who enabled me on many super wearable eyeshadow palettes) I started getting into pearl. Jade is my true love but unsual pearl (I don't really love the boring white pearl studs) are much easier to find in US. 

I like that pearl requires minimal post-harvest processing, comes in thousand of shades and shape and really complement skintone like no others. I have gotten a few (I also worked a lot during 2016 and needed the retail therapy). I grew out some of the style already but still got some pictures in my computer. 
First pair was a love at first sight from eBay seller Druzydesign (designed by Carolyn Ehret and shop operated by her son Nick). A pair of pear shaped tahitian pearl earrings with very strong green overtone and a gold vermeil posts (seriously the pearl's quality is worthy of solid gold finding).
Look at the purple orient at the bottom. I wouldn't say it's a "me" earrings but the natural beauty of the pair was something something. While I visited my family in China, I gave it to my cousin because I saw her eyes lit up when she saw the pair (in my plastic pill container). I robbed her of many stuff when I was young anyway so it was pay back time.

Anyway, it's nice that the green pearls actually suits her warmer skintone.

Purchased from Etsy. This is a pair of long dangle with two metallic keshi (a byproduct of pearl harvest, usually irregular and have insane luster because the nacre is super thick) tahitian pearl. It looks wonderful against dark hair and I got many compliments wearing it. Since the chain is gold plated...It had darkened significantly over the years. I might give it a face lift if I visit China. 
Another Etsy find - Peridot briolette, tiny freshwater pearl and oxidized silver dangle. It's way too tiny for my liking so I gave it to friend.
Handmade by me! Southsea white (which is my favorite type of white) pearl pair bought from Etsy, wrapped with vermeil wire then placed on 24k gold plated  silver hook. This is way too heavy so I never wore it out...
Another pair from Ehret Design. It might have something to do with climate change, all of the newer releases/pearl selection aren't nearly as good nowadays. 

This is a niche type of pearl. Sea of Cortez pearl (with a farm in Mexico) that's oftenly semi baroque (round pearls are boring anyway). They do come with various colors and a gray pair like this is usually somewhat cheaper.  The magic of Cortez pearl is the dreamy  rainbow overtone that changes depends on surrounding...You know how lipsticks usually look much cooler on me?  
This pair looks significantly more purple (with an obvious pink fuchsia sheen) on me. 
I got lots of compliments from coworkers and family members and wore it a lot...Like with many Ehret design items. This is made with vermeil finding that the hooks have darkened a lot over the years...
Silver pair by Kamoka pearl (a sustainable pearl farm) for gifting my cousin. Frankly, this is a big regret because the listing call it pink but the pink sheen is only there is I look super hard (otherwise it's just boring steel gray) and size is pretty darn uneven to me. 
From Etsy seller Joonijewely. Akoya pearl and silver wire.The pearl class isn't very high (not that lustrous) so it's not expensive. Akoya is the type of mussel that produces Akoya pearl, it doesn't equate "jewel grade" or quality so keep in mind when you shop. I gave them to my friend again.
The southsea pearl dangle is from KojimaPearl - one of my favorite Indie designers. Sarah Canizzaro, who is based in California, has a great taste for unsual pearls. This pair is slightly uneven and I grew out of the dangle earrings (they get in the way of work) but I can't get over how elegant and "exotic" this pair looks.
Undrilled Keshi pair (I think I got ripped off)...
Last but not least (for today) - A pair of peachy freshwater pearl stud with pink overtone! Found in a wholesaler at my grandparents town. All for 10yuan. That's 1.3 USD. You don't need to pay a fortune for natural beauty like this. 

Comments

  1. I didn't know you're big on pearls. I do love pearl earirngs but mine are mostly simple studs or teardrops with conventional designs. I've been into baroque pearls lately and pinning quite a few on Pinterest. I will probably get a mismatching pair sometime soon. The cool lavendar hued dangles (Tahitian pearls) look so unique and pretty - I'd love to see you wearing them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More like I am big on retail therapy. Another cousin of mine is in jewellry business and she posted a lot of her akoya stuff back then (And I don't bother with white studs because boring).

      Anyway, the tahitian dangle and the purple cortez pearl both discolored (metal part) a lot in the last four years. I will have some gold smith set them in gold...now I do wear studs more often but they are harder to photograph (can't hang them on tree).

      Anyway, I actually love the good old freshwater pearl a lot, super affordable but classy enough for most occasions.

      Delete
  2. I love pear earring studs, makes me feel classy (although I have never purchased a "real" pearl). I rarely wear earrings now anyway but it's a staple <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah it's so elegant...and a good pair isn't exactly expensive (some freshwater are really lustrous) and i notice the price in US online stores are better than Japanese sources too.

      Delete
  3. Oh I love pearls too! I'm not really a jewelry person but I do own a few [cheapo] fresh water pearl necklaces and bracelets ^.^"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like Chinese freshwater the
      name might sound cheap but a good pair of freshwater beats boring white akoya and basic black tahitian anytime. At least out of all "basic" freshwater looks most fresh and youthful out of these types.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.