Excel Lip Care Oil in LO04 Tomato Red

While I  consider Japanese drugstore makeup (as a whole) usually have very high quality (comparable to most pricier high end brands found at Sephora), Excel eyeshadow is something that feels as nice as Japanese high end.

 I always wanted to explore the brand and when I visit Japan last December, I got one of lippie on my first night there (being jetlagged and Don Quijote was right next door).  Since I had my DSRL with me (a mistake since it was so heavy and I used my phone camera most of the time), I managed a few glamour shots of my toys. 
Excel Lip Care Oil isn't the first of its kind but as soon as I wore it, it became one of my favorite oil gloss (alongside Beautymine and Flowfushi). The formula is scent free, smooth with slight oily feel but isn't sticky or slippy-oily. On the lip, the formula covers the mouth in an even layer, leaving shine that's slightly more subdued than conventional sticky gloss. 
LO (stands for Lip Oil) 04 Tomato Red is a reddish coral that's pigmented but not clownish. There isn't any glitter particle (if you see some in the swatch it was residue from previous swatch). It's a color that makes my skintone look very healthy. 
Of course, this is also a very calming and moisturizing formula that wears down into a softer balm. For the retail price of around 1600 yen, Excel lip care oil feels much nicer than Clarins lip oil ($26) and the color and wear actually feels as nice as Dior Gloss that's near 40 bucks. 

Overall: A must buy if you visit Japan. And as with Excel's eyeshadow, I just wish the color selection are more fun.

Comments

  1. None of the western drugstore brands make these nice juicy lipglosses anymore. It's still all about matte liquid lipsticks. I regret throwing out the Maybelline and Loreal and even Revlon Color Elixir/extraordinaire glosses. I'm too stingy to pay for high end Lancome/YSL/Dior. Have you seen the Maybelline Color Sensational made for all lipsticks? Apparently they suit all skin tones. I picked up a nude shade, Muave for Me 373. It's actually really good, just as good as MAC and Lancome lipsticks. Can you believe it's been 10 years since the Color Sensational lipsticks launched? I remember it because Maybelline used to only made lipsticks in round tubes. Then they changed the game with square cases and then every brand copied. It's been 10 years but the square cases are still a classic look, I don't Maybelline will go back to round cases anytime soon. I remember I got so excited seeing the lipsticks, then came my 015 Born With It shade obsession which I'm now over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have two Color Elixir from 2014! I cant do Maybelline Playdoh scent but damn wasn't Colorsentational such an amazing formula. Especially the shine lipsticks...it reminds me the good old time!

      Delete
  2. Oohhh I might make an exception and try these. I actually have two mini tubes of the Clarins lip oils but haven't tried them yet ^.^"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember Maybelline Colorsentational gloss in Salsa Sun? Tomato red is similar (but I think Maybelline back then was even better at editing their shades). I also have this lip oil glittery shade and the regular range is better and smoother.

      Delete
    2. Of course I remember--that was a spectacular shade and I loved it to death! Too bad they don't make 'em like that anymore :(

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.