Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick in Rose

Ok, another ancient review from last year. Basically, Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick in Rose was put on my to-buy list as soon as I found out that it was used on the Oscar de la Renta spring 2012 bridal show. It was a glowy dusty pink that worked well with the white gowns (I wear a lot of white for summer), not normally a shade I go for (coral/orange/red) but seems like I could get a lot of use out of it.
Rose Shimmer Brick consists of a big 10g pan with five shimmery strips: bright rose pink, warmer rose pink, deep dusty rose, peachy rose and white with pink iridescence. The formula is pressed (maybe it's not the right word since the product itself is baked) solid and maybe a little brittle.

The shimmer brick is supposed to be multi-purpose that you can use them as highlighter/blush or eyeshadow (by applying the strip individually) but I personally don't think the difference between each shade is that different (given they are all very glowy and muted)  so I just swirl them together for a soft pink blush-glow.
Swatch of Bobbi Brown Rose Shimmer Brick - Even though the shades are not too different. The shade/size of the micro-glimmer creates a very nice glow and dimension. The effect is very natural yet noticeable during the peak of summer heat (also the peak of my tan).
The three deepest shade, look how the shimmer varies from rose gold, silver and multi-colored? Once it blends out, it gives a slight natural pink flush with a bit of plumping effect. It's impossible to overdo (unless I do 5+ layers, then I would get a powdery/metallic/caky look) so I ended up using it a lot as it's such a no-brainer.
Maybe you can kind of see it with the back-lighting? (I usually use my left side of face to show cheek products since it doesn't get picked over like my right...Then the eyeshadow are usually shown with my right eyes since it's more convenient for my camera-holding right hand).
One thing I have to mention is that I absolutely hate the compact. Not only it's surprisingly light and flimsy despite its humongous size, the plastic used also seem to be quite cheap and scratch-prone (basically the 3-month-old Shimmer Brick ended up looking more beaten up than my 4-year-old Anna Sui compacts) the mirror forms a 90 degree angle from the bulky compact, which is awkward to hold as I am applying it.Anyway, I ended up depotting it as the little piece of plastic at the closure got stuck (I am OCD so I kept opening and closing it)...

Overall: I love the blush by itself but hate the packaging (which is usually a deal-breaker) so I guess I would only look for future release with a smaller compact.
Btw, I might cave in again if the re-release the two shades from the wild rose collection.

Comments

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.