Red Rose - Chicca Mesmeric Lipstick 19

Chicca Mesmeric Lipstick is one of my favorite and most-worn lipstick formula and sadly the whole brand is being discontinued by Kao (owner of Kanebo). Their counters will be gone by the end of fall 2019 but their ecommerce sites have until 2020. 

When I visited Japan last winter, I made damn sure to buy another without the international mark up. From my trip,  I learned that I just hate shopping at department stores in Tokyo and would gladly pay the $10markup just to not deal with the associates (most of whom straight up ignored me) . I only packed loose comfy clothes and didn't want to bother with makeup and they looked at me (if at all) like I was a fruit farmer of Yamanashi. 
Yup. I was  boring and asked for another red. 
Isn't this the most beautiful tube ever (it doesn't scratch like RMK/Lunasol nor collect fingerprint like Suqqu). 
Well I can see how the brand isn't that competitive. The Mesmeric Lipstick and Flush Blush are their star products and the color line up is extensive but rather repetitive (too many red and pink and anything in between) . And with the clear and sheer quality, they look more or less the same on face. Chicca's base makeup have good reputation (so do dozens of other high end brands) and the rest of their color makeup are less talked about.  
All three Chicca red I have 06 is a brightening red with a touch of coral, Red Rose leans more neutral (my lip undertone is very cool so it leans pinkish) and 31 Moon Fire is quite pinkish (but not magenta). They all look the same a two feet away so if you want try out the brand, just get their 06 Lucent Red. 
Finish and wear of 19 Red Rose is same as others - A highly moisturizing watery gel formula that stays well but leaves no stain.  I haven't used any comparable formula (most other high end sheer lipsticks feel thicker, glossier and lacks this lightweight watery formula) so I shall get another one before it's totally gone from the market.

Comments

  1. Yeah, I have several Chicca lippies and sadly, it's true. They all look the same more or less. I don't understand why they bother releasing new colors. The lippie formula is nice though. I'll at least miss that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same for their flush blush (all look like super natural flush lol)...But I love their brand concept and the founding makeup artist Yoshikawa Kasuo seems to have a clear vision of how he wants his products to look and work into ordinary people's skin. I went to his Instagram and it seems their contract ended three months ago, I guess it could be another reason they closed down the brand. Anyway, he might end up starting a new line (like Rumiko with Amplitude) and I hope finding similar formula in the future...

      Randomly, Ayako is leaving Addiction and the brand's fall collection is already looking out of whack (what's with those brand and their multi palettes)...

      Delete
    2. Oh I didn't realize Rumiko was behind Amplitude! She left RMK too or doing both? And I had no idea Ayako left Addiction and you're totally right, their fall collection is wacky. I cringed when I saw it >.<"

      P.S. Care to share your news sources? I'm so out of the loop these days!

      Delete
    3. Rumiko left rmk for a few years already...But I guess Kanebo still got their chop that we don't see that big of difference. I heard amplitude has amazing texture and certain lipstick colors... but still not super amazing to match the crazy price point.

      Lol I follow bunch of Instagram accounts just like you do and weibo as well (but they get their news off the same Insta accounts) weibo and the Chinese app Little Red Book 小红书 are great for reviews from individual (aka they aren't polluted by brand cheer leaders/influencer like Western blogosphere).

      Delete
    4. Cool! Thank you. Will check out the Little Red Book.

      Delete
    5. And I don't care how amazing Amplitude's texture is--the color selection is just not quite there for me. Thank goodness it's out of my price point :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.