Esprique Glow Eye Veil in Mint Green and Sunny Orange

Comparing my current buying pattern from that of three years ago (when I got lots of Kanebo brands), this two years Kose is attracting a bigger share of my disposable income. Among all Kose brands, Esprique has become one of my top favorites because their lower price point and there is always something I want from each seasonal collection. 

The Glow Eye Veil was released AW 2017 as a collection of liquid eye color that claims to be tastefully glossy, hydrating and blends itself when you use the applicator. As a die hard fan of their powder eyeshadow singles, I was unmoved when I saw the color selection (too boring!). Anyway, when four limited edition shades were out for Spring 2018, I spotted the toys I want! First one is GR 730 Mint Green. All the shades are scent free but I can smell the ice cream in my head!
The eyeshadow is rather runny, like melted ice cream minus the tackiness. The applicator is an angular gummy silicone coated with hair. It's gentle yet efficient not to mention too much fun. The eyeshadow itself is lightweight and feels more like a moisturizing essence than actual makeup.
As for the color, GR730 isn't just super sheer, it's also very clear/translucent. Unlike the powder eyeshadow, this doesn't build up with layers so the overall effect is a high gloss with lots of glimmer and very low color payoff. I was somewhat disappointed but at least it makes an otherwise pastel color quite wearable.
Admittedly this doesn't go well with my farmer tan but I would keep it for later time. It was much more ethereal when I first got it back in April (I am usually palest at the end of winter now I am near my deepest tan). On a side note my brows were particularly tidy that day since I used some (already dried out) Catrice brow gel. 

Beside pigmentation, the claim of self blending seamlessness didn't deliver. Even with some quick rubbing, there is an obvious and boundary of color, it's something you get when the liquid eyeshadow is fast drying . If you really want a cream formula that melts into skin in a natural gradation, the Decorte Eye Glow Gem does exactly that (while costing 15 more bucks). I think there is a mint shade in their range. 
Look at that dreamy teal sheen
OR230 Sunny Orange is a delicious creamy orange coral. I had a few of orange eye colors from Esprique and they never disappoints. This particular shade is bright (no beige or brown base) but still wearable. 
The silicone sponge can be use side way on flat but you can't use it alone as it leaves a clear boundary on the skin (again!).
Since Sunny Orange slightly more opaque, the pigment pile up at the crease almost immediately. Anyway, I was surprised that Esprique Glow Eye Veil was placed 2nd at Cosme.net in the eyeshadow category between November and May 2018. Did they run out of new products to award? FYI, Lunasol's macaron quad (looks sheer AF) placed 3rd and Cosme Decorte Eye Glow Gem placed 1st. I love Eye Glow Gem and all but they can't just pretend it's a new release when it's only packaging revamp with new shades added.

Even though I can see how people like bright and wearable color and essence like texture, it was a bit of a let down compared to their powder eyeshadow. If you see a color you like to wear, these are pretty good toys but they aren't worth collecting. 

Comments

  1. I've rediscovered Revlon Colorstay Ultimate Seude lipsticks. They are actually pretty good. There's lots of pretty nude shades to choose from. They are long wear silicone based with a demi matte finish. No one talks about it anymore I'm surprised Revlon haven't discontinued it yet. My least favorite Revlon lipstick would have to be those Revlon HD Gel lipsticks- in the clear tubes. They discontinued the Lip Butters for that. They stunk so bad like syrup cough medicine even I threw them out. They then realized no one liked them so they discontinued it then repackaged it in those skinny stylo long Ultra HD Gel lip color. Same unbearable scent but better packaging lolz. I bought a Neutrogena rapid wrinkle repair serum, it contains a trace amount of retinol which I'm starting to dabble in. I'm starting to use more active ingredients in my skincare to combat ageing. I'm using the cheap drugstore stuff like Olay for Niacinamide to start off with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Revlon doesn't seem to be doing well in Australia. They have resorted to selling in supermarkets. Revlon is more of higher end drugstore brand here at premium drugstore prices. Everyone is buying from mid end- high end because the quality and shade range is better.

      Delete
    2. Revlon has always been a supermarket brand here and back in the days when I lived closed to a texas grocery chain. The lippie were 6 bucks a pieces and often 3 dollars off... It's funny that the quality of those 3 dollars gloss are as good as Sephora stuff (better than too Faced and Tarte). Now they are all garbage...I rather spend the 8 bucks on Canmake or Cezanne now.

      Delete
  2. From my very brief experience with skincare, if I look for anti aging products with active ingredient. Now I like to try the most expensive one that's I can afford/ within my budget (SK2 and la mer are still no go lol) then go downward, looking for similar kind of products to see if the effect measures up. I tried many cheaper eye cream that I don't bother to use (wasted lot of money on) but when I switched to sulwasoo, I was able to see some line-soothing effect and keep using it.

    After trying multiple vitamin c products, I found out I do indeed prefer the $80 drunk elephant to other ascorbic acid serum. But I supposed the most effective anti aging products are sunscreen and healthy lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like using ascorbyl tetraisopalmitate for vitamin c as it's more gentle. I use a lot of moogoo skincare products (Australian brand) which contain it. Olay regenerist micro sculpting cream has high amount of niacinamide but I don't like the texture - has a filmy silicone tacky finish. I'm going to finish the jar up but won't repurchase. I bought La Roche Posay Lipikar Baume AP+ a few days ago. It's basically a thick cream with 4% niacinamide. It's great for winter or at night.

    I always say this lolz but I think my makeup fanatic days are numbered. I still lust over new makeup releases but I don't have a desire to buy everything. There's a few that I'm dying to try- like the extended MAC studio fix fluid foundation shades- I am waiting for the new shades to come out, I never found a perfect match in MAC SFF but the new shade NC27 looks promising. Same with Estee Lauder Double Wear they now have 56 shades (Well in AUS we have 61) and I'm going to order online 2W1.5 and 3W0 to see if I can get lucky. How shady and lazy- so there's 61 shades in total but only 40 shades are available in store and the shades I want are only available online so I have to buy it. Then there's the new Lancome Skin Feels Good BB cream which I'm dying to try because I still haven't found a HG BB cream. After I get my paws on the estee lauded double wear I'm just going to sample everything and only buy if I really like it n need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I am not hoarding makeup but all these new eyeshadow (from Japanese) still get me giddy. I mean there are some great western formula that's coming out (pat mcgrath lab colourpop etc) but they aren't work appropriate for me.

      Anyway, I am a little more interested in foundation (I got a few japanese powder to try) but I am trying to really take care of my skin so I dont rely on coverup too much.

      Delete
  4. I'm also really tempted to buy Giorgio Armani luminous silk foundation. I don't live near a GA counter so I have to go to city to get color match. If I can find a perfect shade without mixing it will be worth the nosebleed $99aud. I already have to buy 2 shades of lancome teint idole ultra (390c & 410w) at $60aud a bottle. MAC foundations aren't 100% right shade sometimes their undertone is still a bit off but fare way better than drugstore foundations that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.