Josie Maran Sampling : Argan Oil, Daily Moisturizer, Intensive Hydrating Treatment and More

Brands come and go in the shelves of Sephora and Josie Maran is one of the shrinking presence: Not only the the color makeup is gone, the remaining skincare bits is either pulled out in some stores or hidden in an obscure corner. I guess it's not that bad for them since I can still find them (unlike Jurlique) in store.

It's understandable because JM products seem to be only suitable for people with dry skin (or folks who don't mind looking like a dew ball)...Given I do have fairly dry skin most times of the year, it's a little sad seeing the huge chunk gone. 
Anyway, this is the Whimsical Wonder set from Holiday 2015. I bought it for around 25 bucks (discounted from 34ish bucks) during the post-holiday price slashing. I reckoned it would be a great way getting a feel from their skincare, as most of these would last for a month with daily use. 
 100% Pure Argan Oil is the centerpiece of the whole range. It's the first branded argan oil that I know of but not something that strikes me as unique with so many oils in the market.

I have only used it around 10 times before writing up the review(I am ditching the spirit of science for this part), it seems like a light oil that moisturizes, no other fancy ingredents of curious function. It's lighter in a sense that it isn't as sticky like many poorly formulated oils out there (on the shelves of Marshalls, ahem) but there are many other brands that sink into skin better.

I already have rose hip (Sukin, Akin and Pai all work for me) for heavy-duty moisturization and evening out skintone plus the Jurlique balancing face oil for hydration (I usually mix the two to use as my facial moisturizer). Josie Maran argan oil is good for people looking for a no-frill face oil but not something that I would abandon my two long term favorites for.
Anyway, I still managed to find a spot in my routine: The plain jane quality means that it's great added to moisturizer as the dropper suction is quite effective and the smell (crisp green) and color (none?) are unobstrusive. 
Argan Daily Moisturizer SPF47 
Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide 

Water**, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride**, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice*, Polyglyceryl-6 Polyricinoleate**, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysilicone-11, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil**, Glycerin**, Cera Alba (Beeswax)*, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Phenoxyethanol, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Methicone, Alumina, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Chloride**, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polyglyceryl-10 Laurate, Parfum (Fragrance)**, Bisabolol, Dimethicone, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*, Laureth-12, Ethylhexylglycerin, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract*, Citric Acid**, Potassium Sorbate**, Sodium Benzoate**. *Organic. **Natural.
The Argan Daily Moisturizer is an unexpected favorite. It has a thick but fluid consistency, like an oiled up white out. On the skin, it's easily spread out but never gets absorbed fully, leaving a dewy white sheen that stays on for quite a while. I can see how this spells disasters on normal to oily skin types but on my dry and easily thinned skin, majority of the dew gets absorbed in 20 minutes and it saves me for applying an extra half a pump of oil every morning.

Unlike other physical sunscreens, the particles in the Josie Maran are so fine that the finish is smooth and never gritty/scratchy, creating a very minimal white cast when blended out (but it evens out skin tone a little).  As for protection, I actually noticed that my skin tone got more even and my acne scars faded faster for the whole month of June I was using it. 

Beside the effectiveness of the sun screen, the main reason is probably because that it's the only sunscreen gives my skin zero reaction: No stung eyeballs, no clogged pores, no new bumps or zits (which ended up getting picked and turned into new scars) so I actually made the effort to use it everyday. I can't even say that with my old favorite Shiseido geisha cast (the deep turquoise that's not wetforce). 

Unless there is a heatwave (there had been quite a few of those this year) when I sweat like a donkey, this is a great day time moisturizer that also offers noticeable protection. In fact, I ended up buying a full sized bottle and was using it during the sweltering days because I prefer being a protected dewball than (acne)Scarface. 

Did I mention that it sits well under BB cream?
Intensive Hydrating Serum 
Water**, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil*, Propanediol**, Glyceryl Caprylate**, Glyceryl Undecylenate**, Phosphatidylglycerol**, Sodium Benzoate**, Xanthan Gum**, Citric Acid**.
So why would they call it a serum and use a dropper for it when it's clearly a light lotion texture that's not dropper-ble? If you aim to look scientific why don't you include a goddamn micropipetter? 

Again, I have only used it for a few times and it was getting increasingly difficult to get it out. I just poked the dropper and smear the dropped on my face, like a warpaint. The simple formula gives exactly what it promises: hydration with light touch of oily nourishment. For the most parts of the year, my skin drinks it up right away and on days that are more humid (and/or when I overdosed, trying to pour the thing out), it leaves a bit of dew that makes my skin softer overnight.

 I enjoyed using it but for now I would say formula isn't irreplaceable (the dropper certainly is). Bottomline, it's a simple product done well.
Argan Infinity Creamy Oil 
Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil**, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit**, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate**, Beeswax**, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)**, Glyceryl Dibehenate**, Tribehenin**, Glyceryl Behenate**, Citrus Tangerina (Tangerine) Peel Oil**, Tocopherol, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil*, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil**, Abyssinian Oil (Crambe Abyssinica) Seed Oil**, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil**, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Extract**, Soybean Glycerides**, Linoleic Acid**, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil** Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter**, Aleurites Moluccana Seed (Kukui Nut) Oil**, Macadamia Ternifolia (Macadamia) Seed Oil**.
I have reviewed the Lip and Cheek tint last year and the Argan Infinity Cream Oil is the untinted version. The oil cream looks and feels like lemon custard and is basically a heavy oil in a squeeze tube. It sinks in better and is as shiny as the SPF 47 daily moisturizer (but in a thinner consistency) so it's really handy as a hand and nail cream, if you have very dry hand or like a bit of oily film to remain on your skin for a longer duration.
Whipped Argan Oil Body Butter
Aloe Barbadensis (ORGANIC Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Sclerotium Gum, Argania Spinosa Kernal (ORGANIC Argan) Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Plant Derived), Helianthus Annuus (ORGANIC Sunflower) Seed Oil, Natural Vegetable Glycerin, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Glyceryl Stearate (Plant Derived), Butyrospermum Parkii (ORGANIC Shea Butter), Polysorbate-60 (Plant Derived), Vanilla Planifolia (Vanilla Bean) Fruit Extract, Persea Gratissima (ORGANIC Avocado) Oil, Beta Carotene, Ethylhexylglycerin (Plant Derived Preservative), Tocopherol (Antioxidant), Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Fruit Extract, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Fruit Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruite Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Symphytum Officinale (Comfrey) Leaf Extract, Matcha Tea Extract, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Leaf Extract, Allantoin, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract.
Lastly, there is the Whipped Argan Oil Body Butter. There are several scents available and the set came with Vanilla Apricot (which smells a bit coconutty to me) . For something named butter, it's comparatively light and fluffy. It smoothes on easily and leaves a film that doesn't go away after two hours (I was checking near the train station and people gave my funny looks).  It does leaves skin smooth and soft so it would be perfect for short skirts and the beach (when it would be too humid for me to wear lotion anyway).

It certainly gets its job done but I have (quite a bit of moisturizer to use up) a different approach for dry body parts: I used any hyaluronic acid serum to dampen and sooth up surface then seal with dry oil like Nuxe Huile Prodigeuse. That way I repurpose my facial skincare (that I don't like on my face) and also can roll onto bed or put on tights.

Overall: The range is perfect for people with dry skin and who want simple range with organic ingredients. I find use for all of the items but so far I ended up getting the sunscreen in full size, it works and works better (on me) than other sunscreens I have tried. 

Comments

  1. The price is quite a great deal for such a set of products!

    Oh Dear Bumblebees

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the SPF 47 as a deluxe sample and it's surprisingly not oily, but I think I still prefer sunblocks with a satin finish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I saw this as 100pt perk at sephora site but I never shopped at their site ( I tend to buy useless filler to reach the free shipping but that sounds wasteful)...I supposed there are more cosmetically pleasing out there but they are either hard to wash off or clog up my pores...

      Delete
    2. What's your favorite sunscreen? I'm still kinda looking, I tried the Kiehl's mineral SPF 50 one recently but it seems to be a bit dry for me

      Delete
    3. So far. This(josie maran) is the only one I managed to use regularly... It's not perfect but I do get some small reactions from biore, anessa and shiseido. I gave up already. Even the all physical DrunK Elephant felt nice on my hand but scratches my face.

      Delete
    4. Ah I see. I've been using the Biore watery one but I question the actual protection it provides bc it's so lightweight, but it also kinda gives my nose blackheads. I've resorted to using the Biore for my face and a more matte one for my nose

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.