Carmex Moisturizing Lip Balm in Squeeze Tube

Carmex is a range of lip care product that has been around for as long as I can remember (the company was founded in 1937) the range has since expanded into a mini collection of lip care, lip tint and body care products. Their signature lip balm (packaged in either tub, tube or squeeze tube) are retailed for around around a dollar and thanks to a CVS promotion back in Thanksgiving, I was able to get this for free. (Reads: It's not something I would buy).
The Original Carmex Moisturizing Lip Balm comes in an old-school yellow squeeze tube with a red lid (a simple design that I do like), it contains 10g of product, has a texture of jelly and is scented like medicated Playdoh. On the lips, it smooths out evenly and provided an instant cooling sensation (a medical type, not a minty tingle) and a sharp, bitter taste if it gets in the mouth. Both the scent and the taste are very unpleasant to me and take quite a while to fade.
 Carmex Moisturing Lip Balm - On the lips, it provides a subtle shine that lasts for 2-3 hours. On days when I want to play with blushes, this gives a nice polished look (and some moisture) on the lips that won't steal the show. The clear balm also works well as a smooth base for super bold lipsticks or lip products that go on chalky by itself. 
Carmex with a little bit of (since it wouldn't go on) Revlon Colorburst Lipstick in Peach (should have gone for a bolder shade...) a cute color that's a little drying.
Ingredients of the original Carmex tube (screen captured from Carmex ) : While it seems rather minimalistic, I find many ingredients unnecessary for my need. For example, my lips rarely hurt or become sore (now I usually slather them with lip gloss) to need the camphor or menthol and I don't need phenol to remove old dead skin (as they can get soaked up with any wet product and easily wiped off the second day).  

Overall: For a dollar, it's a pretty handy product to add a little shine (that's not too glossy or mirror like) or as a base for lipstick (I suppose Vaseline would do the exact same thing). I am not a fan of the smell or the taste so I wouldn't repurchase this particular formula in the future. 

Comments

  1. I have an unnatural fondness for menthol and camphor as scents and ingredients. My lips are usually hurting or cracked so Carmex remains key in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really a fan of camphor and menthol in my lip products, so I'll think I'll skip this. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. not a person for meditated lip stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh I find the scent of Carmex to be so repulsive, even the fruit scents -_-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love reading your blog. Best pictures, hands down! And helpful reviews on lip products, too. Besides my 3 yr. old daughter, you also have the cutest lips ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It helps to own Sony cameras since it (only) works wonderfully under full blast natural light.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing nice information about moisturizing lip gloss with us. i glad to read this post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.