Classic Revisited - Stila Lip Glaze in Grapefruit

A few weeks ago, while trying out a newer lip gloss from Sephora, I couldn't help but to think that, despite being all "unfashionable and dated" (according corportate owned media), the glosses 10 years ago seemed way better (formula, wear or shades) and would still raise much excitement among today's makeup lovers. 

Anyway, being the sensible adult, I have to remind my self that it was a different time. I was younger, living in a near tropical climate (most lipsticks looked good when it's that humid),  in school working minimal wage job, didn't run out of fuck to give (what corporate culture does to you) and social media wasn't all creepy and invasive...Yup. Those were the times.

What I was trying to say that perhaps, those glosses I loved weren't that great, and I only think of them fondly because of nostalgia.

Well, there is one way to find out. 
With the help of internet, I was able to find and repurchase some of the lip glosses I loved. Now let's swatch and review them one more time (now that I am older and lipstick-snobbier) and see if they will hold against my tough 2020 standard. Disclaimer - No you shouldn't use old make up, proceed at your own risk.

Contestant number one is Stila Lip Glaze in Grapefruit - A pale pink that I have used up two tubes of. The reason why I picked it is  that the formula hasn't been discontinued for too long and the clicky tube is air tight, therefore temper proof. 
From my memory, Stila Grapefruit is a pale neutral pink with very soft mist of silver shimmer. I am never a big fan of pink (or lip gloss/stick that are paler than my own lips) so Grapefruit must be special. 
I don't like shimmer in lip products but extremely fine multi-colored shimmer particles are fine with me. While I always remember Grapefruit having silver shimmer, it's turns out they were doing these galaxy disco ball of tiny shimmer (in green, gold, silver, orange and fuchsia!) before it was cool. 
Anyway, the texture is sticky and gunky (well since I was into that sort of thing, it didn't bother me back then) that can pool around the corners of mouth if I use too much. On the bright side, the formula smoothes out itself quickly, forming a mirror shine while plumping away all the lip lines. 
On the lips, Grapefruit shows up as a light cool pink with delicate pearls. It's a pink that goes with most makeup (or no makeup at all), looking delicate and refreshing kind ( instead of the sweet dolly kind). 10 years later, I still like this shade very much and 
wouldn't mind if they bring back some of the pearly shades. 
Very close up of Grapefruit - No milkiness! I am still debating about Grapefruit, While I like the color, this seems a little too goopy (I miss Pon Pon Gerbera, clear coral pink with golden pearl, a little bit more).

Comments

  1. OMG!! I remember wanting this lip gloss so bad but thinking they don't give that much product. Poor high school student me with lower funds not realizing I don't use lip products enough to use them up (lol).
    I would totally try this now if I saw it on sale somewhere
    I remember having a few tubes of Victoria's Secret lip gloss and loving them bc they are super glossy and smells nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a set of two Grapefruit on ebay! Beware it's gonna stick to your face mask...I was broke AF during college but I always splurged on Stila Cherry Crush (used up two) and some of their lip glaze...they made me so happy!

      Delete
    2. That's such a sweet memory! I somewhat miss the days when I had less stuff and a new product can make me so excited/happy

      Delete
    3. Actually I had a shit ton of crap as well (but I was pretty good at shopping discount so most drugstore items cost me 1-3 bucks). I frequent a clearance basket at a CVS near my school because it always had new (but random) limited edition products that were 75% off. Then I would take glamour shot near my campus either by the fossil or outside of geology building. Some professors thought I was crazy for rocks (I mean I love some gem but not those raw quartz).

      Delete
    4. Ahahah that's cute, I love your nature incorporating shots
      I had soo much BOGO/clearance stuff from drugstores, but I realized at one point I was buying just to buy, not bc I was excited about the product :x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.