Cleanser Reviews - Skinfood Bitter Green, Boscia Cleansing Balm, Pacifica

Cleanser is something I have a large reservoir of (gotta wash the face and other body parts), since it's too tedious to review one cleanser at a time, here is another group review for seven of them.
You might have heard me dismissing Korean skincare in the past (in fact I still find them largely overrated) but Skinfood is somewhat of an exception...OK,  I just like their cutesty, illustrated packaging. 

The Bitter Green Deep Cleansing Gel is a lightweight watery gel that's gentle and that's it. I am not sure about how deep it cleanses but it's only a little better than washing with water. It's non-foaming,  useless against sunscreen, leaves a bit of residue. The cleansing power is so pathetic that I don't even use it as hand wash...Anyway, two thing they claims are delivered: It's green and it tastes bitter (when gets in mouth).
Skinfood Black Sugar and Strawberry mask are among my holygrails (repurchased many times) so when I saw the Black Sugar Perfect Essential Scrub 2x (2 times what?) I knew I want to give it a try. 
The 2x Essential is mostly similar to the original, except it's easier to smooth over, feels soapy and less grainy than the regular version. I suppose it's gentler but I personally don't find the original version harsh either (I only use it once or twice when my face feel congested).  It's not bad but I prefer the sugary smell and texture of the regular version.
 
Boscir Charcoal Makeup Melter Cleansing Oil Balm - This must have been discontinued for a while as I got it a year ago from Marshall's ($1.5). Due to its old age, it's smelling like a sooty pot of wax and I was particularly courageous putting it on.
The texture is a rich oil balm that melts away makeup and washes mostly clean. It's richer than other thin silicone formula but isn't messy. I like it but feel like it really should hit the bin...
Pacifica Cactus Milk to Foam Face Wash is an opaque Milky cleanser that smells like Grapefruit and foams a lot (texture is light, just like the L'Oreal Revitalift cleanser) it gets rid of oil reasonably well but I found it rather stripping and irritating around the eyes. At the end I used it up on my body. 
ItCosmetics Confidence in a Cleanser was a cartfiller and unexpectedly good: The light, rose scented milky gel only foams a little, it cleanses well and feels light and comforting, it's moisturizing but leave no squeak or residue. It's a great for non waterproof sunscreen and as a morning cleanser. 

I think it's great (but frankly there are so many Japanese drugstore brands that are better) but not something I actively go back to. 
B&C Laboratory AHC Esthetic Soap must something of a classic, as I have known it since 2005. There are two version of this AHA soap, only the mild version is available widely at Asian grocery stores. It's an apple scented jelly soap bar that cleanses and reduces pores and blackhead. After once use, I notice a softening and the refinement of skin texture (as with many exfoliators) but without the irritation. I like it but probably not the jacked up price in America (more than $10), it gets used up pretty quickly too. 
Lastly, Rosette Face Cleansing Paste. This one is display at Teso (I feel so bad for the store as its grand Ktown opening happened around the same time as the city wide lockdown).

This cleanser has been around since forever (it just smells like something from the Showa Era...)1929 according to the label -I have the pink one on lower right. it's a somewhat thick white paste you squeeze out of the diaphragm (that has a cross opening). It's actually quite effective at removing mineral sunscreen and other makeup while being non-stripping. The medicine like smell is old school and comforting. 

It's a very good product (for something that's older than my grandfather, it works better than many modern cleansers out there) but...I just don't love the squeezing mechanism, it takes a lot of effort (almost feels like squeezing gunk  out of a bellybutton) and it's harder to get product out the more I have used it. I would gladly repurchase if they put in a more squeezable tube. 

Comments

  1. I may be mistaken but it seems the Rosette cleansing pastes come in tubes as well. I'd love to try it because I like cleansing stuff with clay! Speaking of which, Vitabrid cleansing foam is really good and I think you'd love it. It also has some clay in it but very mild and refreshing. You know I only like select Kbeauty stuff, right? This brand is one of them. We're on the 3rd tube and it doesn't happen very often in my house. ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I saw them as well...but I wasn't sure about if they are the same thing. I will keep an eye for vitabird, I have a large stock of cleanser right now and I am not sure if I will finish by the end of this year.

      Delete
  2. I have the Bitter Green toner! It is pretty mediocre I remember thinking it might be anti-inflammatory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say for the majority of kbeauty skincare,they are 鸡肋. They just target really young people well (who have decent skin no matter how you mess with them)...

      Delete
    2. I can see that. What do you think of Sulwhasoo? I am intrigued by their face cream with the Sephora sale coming soon

      Delete
  3. Have you tried the Skinfood Black Sugar cleansing oil and cleansing balm? I've read that they were sold out everywhere for some reason... I managed to get both last year but haven't tried either as they're farther down my queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen them in store it must smell yumny! I remember in Japan there was a cranberry version of the black sugar scrub that smelled delucious, I didn't like the price though...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.