Pixi Skintreat Vitamin C Serum

While most drugstore brands are getting behind the trends (with the emergence of indie Insta-brands), Pixi is one line that continues to capture customer's interests (thanks to the iconic Glow Tonic) - Anyway, the brand is mostly skincare now and since last summer, it has become available in drugstore (Which means, I could use CVS 40% off coupon on it!). 
The skintreat Vitamin C Serum was first released last summer, joining the Vitamin C club features Ascorbic Acid (I am not sure if they are the same thing, but L-Ascorbic Acid is a well studied and effective ingredient, that's highly unstable). 

The ingredient list is full of natural extracts and whatnot (to me, I get suspicious seeing that long lists of "nothing" as you never knew what that minuscule amount actually do anything and it's hard to play game of elimination in case of allergic reaction).  Also, I don't see other ingredient to keep the vitamin c stable.
Aqua/Water/Eau, Ascorbic Acid, Ethoxydiglycol, Propanediol, Glycerin, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Water, Sodium Hydroxide, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Sodium Hyaluronate, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Peel Extract, Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin) Orange Fruit Extract, Ferulic Acid, Tocopherol, Caffeine, Microcitrus Australis Fruit Extract, Microcitrus Australasica Fruit Extract, Beta-Carotene, Lecithin, Citrus Glauca Fruit Extract, Panthenol, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Root Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Citrus Junos Peel Extract, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Extract, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Retinol, Xanthan Gum, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Punica Granatum Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Hydroxypropyl Cyclodextrin, Polysorbate 20, Phospholipids, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sodium Acrylates Copolymer, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Ethylhexylglycerin

At the very least, the bottle of serum is fresh from exposure before you open it (and replace the rubber seal with the glass pipet).
The light yellow serum is of a watery texture, that feels slightly jelly and mildly sticky. I started using it late August (when NJ is a humid hellhole) and it wasn't too icky. I like the tropical pineapple smell and how moisturizing it is...my main probablem was how quickly it oxidizes. In a mere 2 week, the serum has darkened significantly and had a bit of rusty smell. 

I tried to use it and I got three irritation zits (smaller zits still leaves hyperpigmentation)the next day. I wanted to like it but sadly it belongs to vitamin C that does the opposite of what it's supposed to do. I guess I could be more careful with the storage and try to use it up before it goes bad... Or I could make my life easier and go with vitamin C serum with shelf life longer than two weeks. 

Comments

  1. I had a similar reaction to vitamin C! I tried the Mario Badescu and John Masters Organics one... Maybe too strong for me

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.