Lancome Juicy Tubes and the Story of Shrinkflation

If you go back to my blog archive far enough, you might know that I absolutely adored Lancome Juicy Tubes around 2008 (funnily Gucci Westman was their creative director back then, she really knew her stuff doesn't she) and had a rainbow of them - In my memory, they were thick gloss that looks jello like that were beyond moisturizing. 

Shades that I missed the most are Kiwi (fruit green that looks peachy on), Lemon Sugar (it smelled yummy and this kind of bright yellow gloss was allover Japan in 2019) and Cherry on Top (a happy clear blue red with tiny golden flakes).  There was also a Yayoi Kusama collection that was so whimsical (I didn't get any as my collection was overflowing at the time). 

Anyway, Juicy Tube slowly faded out of the market as those makeup conglomerates discontinues many glossy goodies  from drugstores (while releasing many highend "lip oils" that's the same thing as gloss), style guru declared gloss is outdated...

Around three years ago, while wandering around TJMaxx in the city, I found a travel set of mini Juicy Tubes (it wasn't even cheap, like 30 bucks for the set) and was overjoyed.
Out of the five shades that all look familiar, two were twining with shades I like (The red with golden flakes is identical to Cherry on Top and Orange is the same as "Orange").

As soon as I put it on my lips, my joy dropped as quickly as their market share (just kidding, maybe people still buy their craps)- They changed the formula into something that's runny and gooey (that get onto teeth easily), basically a totally watered down and unworthy version of the old juicy tube (it's not even as good as the old L'Oreal squeeze gloss). No swatch image as I threw most of them away.

I suppose they could justify that saying "Oh thick gloss isn't in style anymore. New version is more wearable."  But the whole point of thick gloss is that I can also use less to get a subtler finish. 

Of course L'Oreal doesn't care about what customers think as long as they can pocket some quick buck. After all, it's the same company that charges $70 for Shu Uemura synthetic eyeshadow brush (which previously got a price hike due to rising material cost). 

Comments

  1. Awww... that's too bad. I used to love Juicy Tubes too until I gradually grew out of glosses. Speaking of which, I actually picked up a few glosses over the holidays! Talk about a change of heart!

    I heard about the Shu synthetic brushes. What a load of BS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe because we both subscribed to FudeJapan's newsletter... Actually I experienced it first hand (before reading about it) as I actually tried to get a replacement for the natural 10 eyeshadow brush (the website was being really ambiguous/never mentioned hair type while image showed the old version)...

      It was one of the best brushes designed and the change to plastic briste totally ruined it (the $70 price tag infuriates me)...

      Now it's winter I am prefering glosses (wait I always prefer liquid lip products). It's such a shame they got rid of old juicy tube formula, in a way it served the same purpose as ettusais lip essence. Well, what do you expect from LOreal...

      Delete
    2. I would go on a rampage if I had to pay $70 for plastic bristles... >.<" I hope you returned yours and get $70 back.

      Delete
    3. I ordered it off Amazon as I wasn't sure about the stock in their official site. Amazon listed it as natural but the stockroom was already updated with the newest stock lol...I returned it as soon as I got it.

      The bristle lay out is indeed the same as old version but plastic hair totally don't spread out and grab product like natural bristle. Just imagine they are also charging over 100 for the larger (previously kolinsky) eyeshadow brush, corporate greed knows no bound...


      If I got it from official site (That ships from Canada) it will be a pain in the rear...

      Delete
    4. Yes, exactly! Synthetic hair is recommended for really sparkly or pigmented stuff that you want to sheer out. It doesn't grab much product at all. Glad you chose Amazon and was able to return it. Urgh.

      Delete
  2. That is so sad. I loved Juicy Tubes back in the day (and am still trying to track down the few I'm missing from the Yayoi Kusama collection!) I get their point - no one wants heavy gloss anymore - but Juicy Tubes never seemed heavy to me. Maybe I'm in the wrong demographic but I'd still wear them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't find it heavy either (consider I love loading on glosses) and the diluted version wasn't "not heavy" it was simply gooey and gross...The old formula was jelly enough to stay put.

      I tried ebay and found a set of weird colors I used to have (green, blue, yellow and Orange) but I am not sure if I want to pay 65 for 15year old glosses.

      I was just using two Japanese lip essense from Ettusais and Whomee (if people like the formula of these two, they will certainly pay for the old Juicy Tube).

      I have a feeling when it comes to beauty brand, the decision are often made by older men who don't care about makeup, intead all they care is outsource packaging to China or watering down formulation to make profit...

      Delete
  3. I'm so lazy these days that I haven't used my HG Lancome foundation in over 2 weeks. I've been using MAC Studio Fix Powder Foundation in NC 30 lolz. I told you how I hated it before but get this the newer batches now run darker so the NC 30 is now perfect. It literally takes a minute to apply it and the coverage is pretty good for a powder foundation. Now I get why it's a bestseller. Stupid Lancome discontinued Dual Finish Powder in Australia which left me high and dry. Shiseido has a new powder foundation out but guess what? It's only 9 grams. Wtf what a joke. MAC has 15g. All these brands coming out with new products but reducing the quantity and quality thinking we're not going to notice pfft.

    How life in NYC been? Are you guys crippled by the coronavirus? Has the panic set in? We have, all the face mask and hand sanitizer have sold out. I'm not 100% convinced face mask do anything. I'm also noticing the increasing surge of racism too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NYC is good (no confirmed case) but foot traffic to Chinatown and Flushing are way lower than usual. A woman got beaten up a Chinatown for wearing a mask...luckily on that day I am the other Chinatown (flushing).

      Meanwhile at our lunch room a coworker is trying to enlighten me and only other ethnic Chinese how bad the China government is...you should check out this news at BBC.

      I just looked at him dead in the eyes "my family happen to be from Wuhan and work as hospital" I know perfectly well what happen without him mansplaining a week old news I already heard.

      Personally I believe racism toward Asian (Especially towards Asian men) is always there but current situations and previous political events made it seem like it's OK to express it openly.

      The coworker thinks I should be really concerned (if I visit Chinatown), but I think I am more likely catch an airborne virus at Carnegie Hall (there are like 3000 seats). I will still make sure to support the sellers in Chinatown (I need Chinese Bakery and snacks to survive lol) because they are already hit hard.

      That will change if there is an outbreak (then I might stay home and avoid contact).

      Delete
  4. Is the situation in Wuhan really that bad? It must be stressful for you family right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Wuhan is bad mainly because hospitals are overloaded and during the early stages, people were panicking and flooding the hospitals (so many people catch the virus there then spread it when they go home)...Outside Wuhan aren't as bad but economy would take a hit if people everywhere are required to stay home for 2 weeks. Aside from having to show up to work (patients are still there and my aunt isn't in the front line) it wasn't as bad as media made it to be, at least they don't have to visit relatives for the newyear, that was refreshing...

      I imagine small business (temp and hourly workers are hit hardest).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.