Decorte the Rouge High Gloss Lipstick in OR250

Back in spring 2018 - Another Japanese brand made its quiet entrance into the US market Cosme Decorte of Kose. Being a big fan of their Eye Glow Gem (having hoarded six by then), I was so excited that I actually went looking for it at Saks Fifth Avenue. 

For someone who hates shopping at department store, being at the Saks beauty counter is like naive tourists being in Kabukicho(Tokyo's red light district) for the very first time - You are getting judged, called, and xrayed by all those snobby sales people... Anyway (since two friends went with me) I survived and had some goodies to review. 
As Cosme Decorte enter international market - Their makeup line got rebranded as Decorté. It's a a nice change as the previous AQMW (Absolute Quality Miracle Wonder, I kid you not) is a little silly. What I didn't get is that they got rid of the beautifully designed butterfly tubes (by none other than Marcel Wanders) into this rubbery atrocity...It's a wavy rose gold cap on a gummy black tube (yup, dust magnet).
At least the detail of the box is kind of cute . I am guessing it could be a domain issue (maybe the Marcel Wander design can't be used outside Japan) because it would be counter productive for brand to switch to ugly packaging just to cater to western aesthetics. 


Speaking of catering to western taste. This Kate Moss palette was one of the western exclusive items for their debut.  I bet my lunch money that a boomer (out of touch) non-Japanese industry pro came up with this... *shudder* 
While I was swatching at the counter - I was drawn to a smoked brownish rose RO650 and asked to purchase that shade...When I opened the box a week later, I was greeted by this pale coral. Guess what, the lady either gave me the wrong shade by mistake or she grabbed similar sounding OR250 because RO650 wasn't available (the shade is still out of stock online right now). I was more than a little annoyed because it was too late to return and I couldn't prove that RO650 was indeed the shade I picked. Anyway, I will make damn sure to never buy from that lady again. (Her name is Deborah, you are welcome.)  

Similar incidents happened again at Anna Sui (I caught it a few minutes after stepping out) and Flowfushi popup store (at least the receipt shows the shade I wanted). I guess these beauty associates of Manhattan are just too important to do their own damned job.
(End of rant)
Back to the lipstick review - Decorte the Rouge OR250 is a peachy coral with a creamy opacity and a lacquer-like glide. Despite the apparent white base, the shade is rather wearable and flattering not to mention comfortable. The texture is smooth, glossy and a little creamy and I don't mind the rose scent. It's thinner compared to Suqqu but no less hydrating. If you don't mind the fugly packaging, these are much nicer than the +$35 ones at Sephora. 

I have been wanting some of their new summer shades but the gold dipped gym handles are really holding me back. 

Comments

  1. Glad you could wear this color. It doesn't work for me. The white base in it shows prominently on my lips :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you also got it in prettier tube, this color was OK but. really didn't need another coral (let alone a white based one)... RO650 would be so pretty.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.