Cleanser Reviews - Origins, Garnier, Bliss and More

I try out many cleansers during the year here is another group review for five of them
Origins Modern Friction cleansing stick is the first stick cleanser I have ever tried. When I saw it at Marshalls for 12 bucks, I reckon it would be perfect for travelling but I didn't pack it as it was too big and heavy for a 10-day trip. I started using it in spring and found it rather nifty. 
The product is essentially a softened soap in a stick that you can rub onto your face directly - The smell is a little oat-like and there are some grainy particles to gently exfoliate, the particles are sparse and dull enough that I can use it daily without any irritation. I usually just rub it in like a deodorant, add water. It gives a very creamy lather and rinses clean (neither squeaky nor filmy). It's a pretty good product that you can use as first (sunscreen removal) and second cleanser. Pretty good for 12 bucks. 
Ingredients 
The Garnier Skin Active 2-in-1 facial mask and scrub is a somewhat new (it's around 9 bucks but I layered two coupons for it at CVS) - The scrub looks a and feel like sorbet (but isn't cooling) and stays that way as I rub it on my face, neither dissolving or melting like other sugar mask. 

The ground apricot seed is small and round, while it doesn't irritate skin, it's not that effective and the small granules easily get into my eyes.  The scent is exactly like their day time moisturizer with some fake apple-fruity notes. 
Verdict - Do Not Like.
CVS house brand Charcoal and Black Sugar mask -  This is almost identical to Freeman Black Sugar and Charcoal Mask,  a thick, grainy sugar mask that's hardcore but not irritating on face(when used once or twice a week during summer)  - The difference are the scents (Freeman is stronger and more sugary), Freeman seems more self warming and while CVS one is made in Korea, Freeman is made in USA. The regular retail for CVS is near 5 bucks (but I get a 40% off coupon every week) and the Freeman is between 3.5 (Amazon) and 4.5 (at Harmon). So I just buy whatever that's cheaper at the moment. 
Walgreen Micellar Cleansing Water (found it  for 2 bucks on clearance) is something I use to remove swatches of eyeshadow and lipsticks. It's just a teeny bit thicker than regular water and feels slightly moisturizing  (but not yet sticky) on the skin. It does its job fine but isn't amazing (there are thinner more refreshing ones out there). For 2 bucks, not gonna complain. 
Bliss Makeup Melt Gentle Jelly Cleanser with Rose Flower (available at CVS for $12) looks like a slightly cheaper dupe for Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser but the similarity stops at packaging.  

The consistency is a very runny gel like watered down vaseline and it feels thin on the skin. The supposed rose scent is more medicinal than floral and while it's not bad at cleansing, it stings the area around my eyes every time I use it. Consider my skin barrier is usually very healthy during summer, I imagine it will be even harsher during winter. I might end up using it as sunscreen remover on my arms. 

Comments

  1. I've seen a bunch of stick cleansers lately, must be a trendy thing. Might try later though as I still have a long queue for cleansers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sticks are just softened soap. I like this one but won't be looking for other stick (aside from being solid/TSA friendly) I don't see other appeal.

      Delete
  2. I haven't commented in a hot minute but here's what happened. So 3 weeks ago i went to the city to buy the Shu Uemura #18 brush. The only place that seemed to sell it was a little pop up shop, not at the department store- they too are phasing out Shu it seems. The SA pulled out the brush...I asked her is it natural hair? Heck she wasn't even sure as well! There you go how they being vague about what hair they are using. The brush n plastic packaging didn't mention anything about what hair is it, just said #18 brush. I bought it anyway and this is embarrassing but I paid $105aud...idk i bought it because i went all the way to the city for nothing...anyway I looked at it and I think it is goat hair because it does smell like natural hair...it is very soft indeed but is it the best foundation brush ever? No. It sure does a nice job but no way worth that much...Save your money and buy Real Techniques etc.

    Anyway my woes doesn't stop there. So whilst I was in the city I thought maybe go to the Clarins counter at the department store (i don't know about NY but the city department makeup counters are epic, it's much bigger n well stocked, there's minimum 3 staff on and all mandarin speaking to cater to the tourists lolz) to buy my favourite Clarins Ever Matte Powder...so I used my credit card to buy one....um it got declined for some reason...we try again on another machine and same problem declined wtf. I didn't end up buying it. I checked my bank account immediately to see if anything happened but nothing. So come next day and i checked my account again and gasp horror i got charged TWICE...wtf wtf...I literally panicked that's like the worst nightmare to happen...I never had this happened before...so I went back to the city on Monday but the staff was useless all she could it's pending and we can't do anything about it. So I wait 5 more days and it's still there so I call up my bank and I get the same response it's still pending, wait until 10 days and if nothing happens calls us to dispute it...Omg I'm stressed to the max...so come Tuesday and they finally refunded the money back and dropped off my account...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry yet.It's normal because it's so far away from your regular activity zone. If it didn't go through on their end (giving you recepit from cashier) the two pending charges would show on your balance (attempts to swipe) but go away in a few business days. They won't charge you even they later know it was you because for those particular transactions, they didn't go through/completed the purchase.

      It happened to me when I travel out of NJ/NY and didn't use the same credit card to book flight ticket. I just ended up not using that particular card because it charges international transaction fee anyway (and I buy from international vendors a lot).

      Delete
  3. I was going to look at some of SU eyeshadow brushes but gasped when I saw the prices, $90-100 AUD just for one eyeshadow brush wtf...seriously no eyeshadow brush is worth $100 I don't care if it japanese made or not. Lolz I'm kinda put off by SU everything just seems grossly expensive and hard to get. I'll stick with Zoeva brushes, suprisingly they have good eyeshadow brushes.

    What vitamin c serum are you using these days? I'm still using Drunk Elephant, i know it's overpriced and not worth it, but it does the job and my skin is starting to get used to it now. Same with La Roche Posay sunscreen I said I hated it but after a couple of months my skin is now used to it so it doesn't irritate anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am using timeless CE ferulic and Rhoto melano CC - Both are a wee drying but just perfect for the humid summer and super affordable. Consider the drunk elephant oxidizes too fast, it's not worth it to spend 80USD when it's only good for a month or two.


      And chemical sunscreen never fails to irritate my skin so I only use one on my arm and feet. The old Shu brushes were amazing but it's pointless paying that much for synthetic. One of the main feature of the sable hair was it grabs and deposit well, not with synthetic hair.

      Delete
  4. When you say the Timeless vitamin c is drying, you mean it dries out your skin???? I do want to try it but if it's drying then I'm a little hesitant. I don't seem to experience any dryness with Drunk Elephant because it is quite sticky texture and plus I mix it in with the B Hydra serum & a pea size of my moisturiser.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.