L'Oreal Colour Riche Shine in Polished Tango and Luminous Coral

I am the type to never let go of grudges and L'Oreal is a conglomerate that always made me bitter. How should I start? In my short-ish consumer memory, L'Oreal has 
1. After having purchased Shu Uemura, it pulled all the counters off American market to "focus on their other high end brands".

2. Decided to stop selling all tasteful sheer lipstick/glosses from their drugstore brands, leaving only dramatic matte, bold behind that's utterly unwearable unless you are an Insta-star. Of course those beautiful sheer are still widely available from their high end Armani and YSL, for a "reasonable" $37 (the formula is on the same level as the discontinued Maybelline/L'Oreal). 

3. Bought CeraVe and almost immediately reformulated their PM moisturizer(that I happen to have, pretty sure they did the same to many products), replacing it with something worse. I am not surprised if the used the beloved formula on other more expensive lines. 

4. Raised the price of Shu Uemura natural brushes, quoting rising material cost. This is understandable to me but then...

5. Suddenly switched supplier of those Shu brushes (it used to be made by Japanese fude house Tanseido), to synthetic hair, while keeping the sky high price tag. I have accidentally bought one by mistake (the site slyly avoided mentioning whether it's natural or synthetic) and the new eyeshadow brush has entirely different structure and performance, no bloody way it's worth $71 (plus tax). This is one of the very few items I decided to return, within 20 seconds. 

Basically, this is a brand that exemplifies corporate greed, a market giant that gradually eliminates affordable gems then tells you that you have to pay premium to look "not cheap", simply because they control a large portion of the American mass market...

I don't think their plots is working at intended because as a consumer, if I can't get affordable makeup in my local drugstore, there are Cezanne, Canmake and Chifure (still affordable after markup).  Instead of buying waxy thin lipstick from YSL, I get more options from indies and international brands. It's not a matter of life or death (like Insulin) so there is always a dozen of other companies to buy from and at the end, L'Oreal is hurting nobody but themselves. 

End of rant. 
Last year while I was walking around CVS, I noticed that L'Oreal finally released a range of colorful sheer lipsticks and since the shades selection looks pleasing enough, I got two to play with (yup I stacked on several coupons). 
The packaging of L'Oreal Colour Riche Shine lipstick looks extremely cheap (and sticker residue would stay on forever) but the design is distinct and kind of endearing actually. 
 
The two shades I got are Polished Tango (creamy warm guava pink) and Luminous Coral (warm cantaloupe). Both have some creamy opacity that translates into a small amount of white base on more naturally red lips (I can see it during summer but not winter, when my lip color is lighter). 
 
The texture is smooth and mildly slippy - I find it texturally similar to YSL rouge volupte and the discontinued Maybelline Color Whisper lipstick. I think the older Maybeline and L'Oreal have better colors that melts into skin tone. There is a light powdery floral scent that I don't find it offensive.
Polished Tango - Looks a bit Barbie pink here but it will creamier on paler lips.
Luminous Coral - The white base is visible in close up but totally fine a foot away. 

Overall: These are really good lipsticks at this price range. I wish they would bring back those previously released shades by Maybelline, not gonna happen if they want people to pay for YSL. 

Comments

  1. Just read about Shu's from-Tanseido-to-synthetic switch and mentally added them to my blacklist of never-buys. I don't bother with Armani or YSL to begin with, but I'm sad about Cetaphil :( Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops I am sorry it was Cerave not Cetaphil. In my head they are the same because the cleanser has identical texture...Cetaphil is still safe for now!

      Yeah the previous Shu brush was one of my favorite, such a well designed and functional one...And after the switch how dare they charge 71 for that piece of plastic! (when the old version of 10 Synthetic was 29 dollars).

      I feel like western company can't manage Japanese lines without ruiningthem, SKII used to have an interesting makeup range but now it's zero new product but bunch of PR stunts (hiring Mega stars to sing stupid songs, luxurious group trips for instastars, controversial ads in China regarding "empowering" leftover woman).

      Delete
    2. Oh! If it's Cerave then I'm not surprised. That stuff doesn't do anything at all for me or my little boy. Too bad about SKII though.

      Delete
  2. Wait...damn I actually wanted to buy Shu foundation brush goat hair, apparently it's the best foundation brush ever...but if it's changed to synthetic then nah thank you next...all the high end brands are switching to synthetic and I ain't paying high end prices for synthetic brushes. I just missed out on buying Clarins natural brushes because they weren't on my radar till recently and apparently they had really nice natural hair brushes. They changed to synthetic cheap n nasty last year. Clarins have a new lip range called Jolie Rouge Lacquer, shiny finish, I'm interested, although it's high end it's not crazy YSL prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just went to their site and the foundation brush is still made of goat hair. Not sure if the construction is still the same though.

      Delete
  3. The Clarins Jolie Rouge Lacquer are nice I bought Rosewood (nude pink) and Grenadine (pink berry). Those 2 were the only nice shades the rest so auntie grandma. They aren't thin and slippery like the Loreal or Lancome ones. They actually feel like a cream lipstick but with shine, kinda in between a gel lipstick and a classic cream lipstick. It's not really a lacquer finish it's more of a shine finish. The tube looks like a lipgloss which is clever marketing. It's only 3g but I can overlook it because it wasn't crazy expensive like Lancome ($40aud) and I actually really like the formula. When I wore Grenadine everyone was looking at my lips lolz because it's actually quite pigmented. The ingredients are nice, they use same/similar ingredients that lancome YSL etc uses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to check them out next time I am near the counter (OK I pass by it all the time but I avoid them because there are also other brands in close proximity.

      Delete
  4. Wow I didn't know L’Oreal had this kind of history. The Taiwanese bloggers I follow say this line is really great, but I don't like the packaging so I haven't purchased one... The coral one looks cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This line is great! Just not as exciting as the ones released back around 2010-2013. It's not just loreal but this kind of corporate take over happens everywhere in pharmaceutical companies and my own industy as well so when I see it happen to my work and play (make up) it's frustrating...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.