Lime Crime Velvetines in Red Hot

If you were around the blogging world a decade ago, you might remember how Lime Crime was full of drama and controversies. The ones I remember was how they resold other brand's pigment passing off as their own, credit card fraud and some online fights between the founder and bloggers. All these dramas didn't change my opinion about Lime Crime, as it was a brand I never thought about buying either way. I simply don't wear hyper dramatic statement makeup to shell out $20 per item. 

Fast forward to two years ago, one day while I was picking up an online order from Urban Outfitters, the cashier told me they were running a promotion in store and had some leftover so she put the extra goodies in my bag. Beside the $25 clearance dress, I headed out with a simple tote with "Get Dressed" print, a wooden hanger (???) and a tube of this Lime Crime lip color. For a moment I thought it was a joke but luckily no security alarm was triggered.
The Lime Crime Velvetines I received was in a metallic fire red that looks kind of cool in the tube. The packaging is solid and well constructed, not my usual jam but I appreciate the thought on the design (it certainly doesn't look cheap like other brand by Youtube stars). 
Lime Crime Red Hot and Suqqu Saebara (I think this will forever be an "expensive but looks cheap" control for my other red lip colors) 

Looking at the tube I definitely thought it's a flaming hot  (warm based) red but it also swatches a little Ruby on my skin. It's a highly pigmented formula that settles from liquid to a Catsuit-like film (full coverage not crumbly) in a few minutes. After it dries up, it doesn't transfer and is actually surprisingly comfortable compared to other matte liquid lip color. This actually looks beautiful and shall I say...expensive?
The matching box is kind of nice too.
I totally expected Red Hot to go completely clown red on me but it was actually a wearable bold (it doesn't bleed, smear and this color somehow instantly brights up my skintone, something that Nars couldn't deliver). The tone and finish is so balanced that I just changed my mind a little about the brand. 

Well I still wouldn't spend 20 bucks on other Lime Crime though. As I prefer clear formula that I can reach for everyday.

Comments

  1. Bold, yes, but a beautiful red! I could see the metallic sheen too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah for lip color it really takes some creative genius to come up with shade that you know looks right with just one dab. This one it's one of the few lippies that just clicked right away!

      Delete
  2. Laughing my brains out LMBO I literally don't have any more room to put my makeup and skincare. Clothing too. And thank God it's winter so I don't have to lug ice bricks from my freezer twice a day to salvage my makeup and skincare lolz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time to detash a little! I used to think about getting a mini fridge for my skincare but I just realized my apartmemt is so small that the fridge is only steps away from my room...

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I remember the dramas about the brand. At some point, whoever supported Lime Crime by purchasing them was considered terribly. I just didn't buy it because it just didn't speak to me (same thing goes to Bite beauty, for example, despite of their food grade ingredients and other goodnesses ;p). Anyway, I like that this red flashes a blittle of blue. It's very cool! And, to tell you the truth, I think I like Saebara and how it looks on you ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't 20-buck love Bite either but I have gotten a handful of their lipsticks either as Sephora minis or from TJmaxx/Marshall, gotta say it's pretty amazing at 5-6 dollars. But the vibrator tube is fugly.

      Trust me something is off with these suqqu UK exclusive shades (they don't work harmoniously the same way as their regular line)...

      Delete
    2. OMG, the vibrator tube! I never even thought about it but now I cannot unsee it. LOL.

      I am still new to Suqqu and didn't really pay attention about whether it's UK exclusive or not. I'm sure many of them are since I order from Selfridges. I am working on a swatch post on my recent order! :D

      Delete
    3. The bite tube is totally intentional to me, like even the natsy silicone e
      texture...I hate it when they go daring like that.

      I think your order are safe (limited release just from Japan) their UK exclusives are thought-after *shudders* and super dramatic bright/neon ...Like really distinctly dramatic. I am jealous of your hikaribore but have to remind
      myself I have a few suqqu I have gotten and never got to (I counted...8, one dating back to 2015)....

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.