Deborah Lippmann Lipstick in Sexy Back

It's Women's March today. While I have no pink hat, there is a pink lipstick for y'all. I did have a matching hot pink scarf on while I was out and I (was clearly overdressed for this warm day) could feel the heat.
I first heard about Deborah Lippmann Lipstick on Lena's Blog, the finish and formula was totally my kind of thing (moisturizing jelly balm) but I wasn't keen on paying more than 20 dollars for packaging I don't love. Let's face it, after certain price point, it costs more to design and manufacture the packaging than to make the actual lipstick.

A few months later, I ended up spotting the set (with matching nail polish) for 10 bucks at TJMaxx (the one that's a block west of Carneigie Hall)! I didn't need the polish but it was a decent price for toy. 
The tube is a somewhat clunky black tube made with textured light weight plastic, it's highly prone to oil and dusky so mine already look a little yucky after a year. Since the texture is on the soft side, it wobbles a lot and get cut by the interior easily. By the third use, it looked like it was chewed by a dog.

I practically live under a rock when it comes to pop culture/music, but I think all of the Deborah Lippmann lipsticks are named after hit songs (I just needed google to know Justin Timberlake was the singer, I told you I live under a rock). Sexy Back is a bright magenta, with a color and name that's strangely fitting for today.
I am very apprehensive about bright magenta (this one also has some purple pearls, is that an industry standard?) and Sexy Back is not what I like to wear during day time, especially with my paler winter skin tone.  My mouth probably enhanced the purple in it since it looks like a brighter berry pink on Lena. 

The formula of Deborah Lippmann lipstick must be one of my favorite. It's not completely opaque but can be build to a stronger color. The finish is on the jelly side of cream but it doesn't have that white base like many other western brands (Too Faced and YSL). There is a high shine but it doesn't look like oil slick. Of course, it felt incredibly comfortable and moisturizing with the soft, glossy balm formula (scented like vanilla) . It certainly feels like a pricier lipstick (better than the best of drugstore ones), once you ignore the packaging. 

I am really impressed by the formula and have another shade (I bought the coral one first actually, I got a yuuuge backlog to go through) with me. I would love a red one but it's hard to convince myself to pay full price when I got two at a discount. 

Comments

  1. gosh, tjmaxx has the best stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, especially ones in big city. last friday I found lipstick Queen jean Queen gloss for 10 bucks, I have been meaning to get that for a while...

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the shoutout! This color looks really lovely on you, and I'm happy to hear that you like the formulation! It's so funny how the same color looks all different on each of us. I still have this set and reach for it quite often. I have my suspicion that there is one manufacturer behind these brands. I don't know if you're familiar with Manna Kadar. Her lipsticks are awfully similar to DL's. The lipstick itself reminds me of the MAC sheer formulations, too. I think the point of having DL lipstick is to own the same lip color as your favorite nail polish. Oh, btw, Deborah Lippmann herself is a jazz singer(or so she believes) and many of her polishes are referenced to famous songs like you said (I have a polish called "Let's go crazy(Prince's hit song)" and it is a purple with ostentatious hex glitters. LOL)

    I should check out that TJMaxx. The one in my neighborhood kinda sucks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol at the or so she believes part... Right now (after holiday) the tjmaxx at 57th Street sucks (I used to see some peripera stuff) but the one at 19th Street has a fresh batch of Lipstick Queen glosses (even the cashier was like "we have that here?").

    There is Bruckner symphony cycle going on so I have plenty of time to kill before each concert. At least TJ keeps me from buying craps at Sephora (almost picked up nars natalie yesterday, phew).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. This one is nice to have, not a must have (since it's kind of bright). Call Me Maybe is a thing of beauty both in terms of color and finish...

      Delete
    2. Gah, tempted to haunt tj Maxx now...

      Delete
  5. Oooohhh the formula sounds so nice but tHE prICE :'))

    Also am I the only one who thinks bright magentas make me look really tired? Everyone always says it brightens up their face but whenever I try to wear one I look like I pulled week of all-nighters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it happens to me when I wear many super bright colors and without proper/flawless base)...They highlight every dark mark I have.

      22 bucks to me isn't terrible, it's just hard to shell out full price when I am used to the tj/marshall discount. And when I do pay that much,I expect some fancy packaging...

      Delete
  6. Wow I had no idea DL makes lipsticks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I swear the only western brand lipstick that i like is Dior Addict lipstick in 553 Smile. Dior Addict make pretty pink shades which is what i like about them. Seems like 553 is my go to lipstick. All the western brands either have that white base thing you are talking about or they make clown bright colours. Brown based shades looks absolutely awful on my asian skin tone. I have no luck with the new Lancome L'absolue lipsticks....either too dead looking or just too clown bright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to macys to check out diors spring lipstick and they are still not out! I do like how dior does their color so I will try the lipstick at least once (I bought the tinted balm in lili but just ended up giving it to my mom). I did manage to grab the new berry lip glow though.

      Delete
  8. Lolz we already have the Dior spring 2017 out! I was eyeing the 4 new limited edition Dior addict shades but I already have 553 smile which is very similar to the colours they offered. I wasn't interested in the lip glow scrub, felt very grainy. The lip gradient sticks don't pique my interest at all. But I saw a brand new lip product yet to be released, Dior addict lip lacquers...looks promising.

    Hold, I think I found my HG pink lipstick....LancĂ´me Rouge In Love 232M Rose'mantic. Bought it on a whim after work. It's perfect, not too white, not too clown bright. Wearable for work that's not going to cause offence. I like the texture of these lipsticks, demi matte but comfortable. It's embarrassing, the Lancome ladies all know who i am as I'm always snooping around. I've pretty much found all my holy grails so I can actually stop buying and start saving money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I feel like I might have all the eyeshadow I needed but I could work on the lipstick part a bit, eyeshadow look more or less similar but lipsticks can all be so different.

      I look forward to the new dior lacquer lipstick but I want to see the spring lipsticks here first! I need another sheer coral in my life!

      Delete
  9. Oops, I meant i saw the new Dior lip lacquers on a makeup blog. Yet to be released.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.