Tom Ford Ultra Shine Lip Color in 07 Willful

I am not a big fan of western lipsticks in general (they are too bold and dramatic even in a "sheer" formula) but when I saw this tube design for Tom Ford Ultra Shine Lip Color, I just had to get one even with its ridiculous retail price. Since it was released around the same time as Sephora's beauty insider sale, I went in store and grabbed it 20% off ($55). After tax, it ended up being the most expensive (but not necessarily the best) lipstick I ever purchased.
Since the only selling point was the packaging, let's take a closer look. The design is indeed beautiful, weighty and looks quite jewelry-like. Upon closer examination, it actually looks like it's made of "affordable" (non luxurious, cheap) materials. 

The details on this piece of art don't hold up very well: The interior of the cap looks shoddy and full of weld lines (it looks like plastic pipe). The white plastic started to discolor, having some spots from heat in just a year and I have gotten one small chip on the golden frame (I never brought it out with me). These are some design imperfections that I don't see with YSL, Dior or Chanel. And for the record, my 3-year-old plastic Jill Stuart lipstick never chipped!

 I haven't taken it apart but I would bet my lunch money that the packaging is made in China, just like Tom Ford's eyeshadow compacts (and many other packaging from Estee Lauder brands). I guess, consider how ornate it is, it might be cost-prohibitive to have this exact design made with better material or in a developed country...But hey, at the $55 a piece...I am sure they can afford better materials. 
Back to the lipstick - Since the range was newly released and very popular when I got it, there weren't many shades left in store. I picked 07 Willful as I could always use another "sheer" red. 
Of course it's not sheer at all! 07 Willful is a seemly neutral to poppy red with a creamy texture and shiny finish that's not very long wearing. The vanilla scented lipstick is very comfortable, somewhat moisturizing and a single swipe gives a very intense dose of color, reaching 70-80% opacity.  

The formula of Ultra Shine Lip Color is pretty nice for a creamy bold, but I find the creamy formula from Bare Minerals (low $20s) , Shiseido (mid $20s) and Lunasol ($30) are still notably better. 
On my lips - 07 Willful is a curious shade, while it looks warm on the outside, it also feels a bit bright and garish...I found out when I wipe off the glossy part.
Turns out it's a neutral warm red with that hot pink stain underneath. It's not a super bold magenta but I don't care for it anyway. 

Overall, it's a decent (if it were 20bucks) formula, not very flattering shade (on me) but the design is truly beautiful. It's great for collector (consider how delicate/cheaply made it is) but if you are a lippie-lover wanting to try a luxury lipstick, Suqqu is a better way to burn $40-50. 

Verdict: A ripoff. 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wholeheartedly agree with Suqqu :) I can't believe they call that "sheer." I shudder at what they would consider "pigmented." Yikes. Not for me.

      Delete
    2. To be fair they didn't call it sheer (the clutch size lip balm is sheer and works like 1000yen lip balm) just super shiny...To think of it, now the amplitude lipsticks at 4500 yens doesn't seem that bad!

      Delete
  2. Tom Ford cosmetics= high end Estee Lauder. Their lipsticks are pretty much exact same as EL. Because I was browsing Sephora and looked at TF lipsticks...exact same bullet, same scent, same texture +/- I have a tonne of EL lipsticks so I know it's exact same thing.

    I bought Clarins Jolie Rouge lipsticks in 2 nude/rose shades, 705 soft berry & 752 rosewood, in the cream formula. They are just as good as Lancome, EL, Dior etc. They come in 3 finishes- cream, matte and shine but still keep the same shades which is smart. It cost $40 for 3.5g made in France which is good value for a high end lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one Jolie Rouge, while I like it, it's not something I reach for. It's a wee too bold for me to wear it everyday sheerly. While moisturizing, it's a tad thin compare to other lipsticks from Japanese brand.

      Delete
  3. LMBO I still regret throwing out the makeup I had destashed. They were all drugstore stuff like Maybelline n Revlon etc. It's all nostalgia and hoarding behavior. Those were the good old days and I threw it out...like I threw out a part of my life...sobs... But seriously none and I mean literally nothing from the drugstore excite me anymore these days. That's why I don't buy much drugstore makeup these days, if it's crap n average I'm just wasting my money only to throw it out years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto. I was wearing a chanel lipsticks and kept thinking...urgh the formula is kind of crap (not as nice as revlon colorburst) and while the shade fougeuse was pretty...it wasnt as nice as Revlon lip butter in sorbet. The more high end lipsticks I have gotten, the more I miss gucci westman (she does have her own line but I dont love the packaging/could never shell out 75usd for bronzer)....If shiseido (excellent formula, extremely dated shade selection) would hire her to do the color makeup, that would be my wet dream come true.

      Delete
  4. Very informative. Really like your article. Need more on. expat cpa

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good way to say your words. Please also visit my site and let me know what do you think about my thoughts. Expat tax Services

    ReplyDelete
  6. Much apricated. Keep sharing more posts like this . Expat tax professionals

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.