Giorgio Armani Ecstacy Shine Lipstick in Camellia

Giorgio Armani Rouge Ecstasy Shine is a relatively new range of lipstick by the brand, being in the market for around 2 years. I was quite drawn to its slim lacquer red tube and could always use a clear lipstick so I decided to add one to my collection. 
The packaging looks just as nice in person, smooth and seamless with a satisfying magnetic closure. It's especially worth mentioning because pricey Estee Lauder brands (Tom Ford, cough cough) would charge over $50 for a lipstick but have their packaging made in China (nothing wrong with that). With the weld lines and uneven details it's hard justifying such high price...

Anyway, consider the packaging is usually the most expensive component to make, I am happy to report that Armani lipstick is worthy of its premium price. 
L'Oreal Colour Riche Shine in Luminous Coral, Armani 302 Camellia and Suqqu Moisture Riche Lipsticks in Kouyou. They swatch similarly but look entirely different on lips. L'Oreal has a thin finish and apparent white base, Armani 302 is thin, clear and juicy. Suqqu is thick balm, creamy and very glossy. 

302 is a supposed from a limited edition called Tokyo Garden (all three shades in the collection have something to do with Japan) but the clear orange coral is more like a juicy Tiger Lily. 
I saw a bunch of camellias while in Japan, there were white, warm pink and red
The ones with the most geometrical petals are in pale warm pinks
In front of Calligraphy Museum in Tokyo
This one was from Hanami koji in Kyoto 
Back to Armani Ecstasy Shine Lipstick - 302 Camellia is a clear juicy orange coral. The formula is thin and reasonably hydrating (it's not the superficially kind of moisturizing like YSL but it isn't as quenching as other Japanese high end lippies). 

Overall it's pretty good for a sheer Western brand lipstick (I still think Japanese brands from $30-38 are much better) but I can't get over the heavy powdery floral fragrance (it's very old fashioned) so I won't want another one just because of the smell alone. 

Comments

  1. That's a beautiful color, but you're right, if I'm going to spend $38 on a lipstick I'd rather it be Japanese because I know I'll like the packaging, the formula, the color, and the finish ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, even Jill Stuart (the new lip blossom is much more moisturizing than the old formula) feels so much nicer at 2800yen/$24 USD (American price is better, making it a better buy than coffret dor). But JS colors tend to be too pink and their packaging is a bit too much...

      Delete
  2. The color is so pretty on you, though! Some of the GA lip ranges are unscented and I don't understand why they decided to put fragrance in some other ranges.

    Speaking of sheer lipsticks, I am totally smitten with Suqqu Extra Glow. I am looking to buy at least a few more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try some RMK and Chicca while you are at it. They are equally good minus the bulky tube! I really want Suqqu summer neon lipsticks but they are so hard to find.

      Delete
  3. They're a different finish, but has your interest been piqued by the Skinfood Tomato Jelly Balms? I'm now on my second one; purchased the first in 2015-ish after Peripera discontinued their versions, which I adored so much I cleaned out the existing stock at a mom and pop Korean grocery to gift to co-workers (then a few years later, Urban Outfitters started selling a different style of the Peripera jelly balm -- bought a couple of those too and liked them a lot).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw one shade on clearance in a kbeauty last week...I didn't get it because it's already magenta pink. With my history of turning things grandma magenta, I am avoiding that type of lip tints... If I see the orange one on sale I might cave in!

      Delete
  4. 03 Orange Tomato is the one I've chosen both times, most recently from an auction site seller for 5 shekels. Your fearsome granny magenta even in the tube is the shade that appears to still be most readily available everywhere, lol :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. 5 shekels?? Google told me it's 1.4USD (I would have gotten it in a heartbeat at that price)...I wore a Dior Fluidstick called chic that looks like such a stylish warm plum with a touch of brown..

    And yup, magenta again...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lolz I bet this is the same thing as Lancome Shine Lover lipstick (which is now discontinued and replaced with the new Lancome Mademoiselle Shine), even the tube and bullet style is exact same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow it's just shady for them to change packaging and raise the price by 25% on the lancome. I really hate L'Oreal when they pulled out all the sheer formula by their drugstore brand "if you want that kind of formula, you can just pay 37 bucks for YSL" urgh no thank you I am buying from other "non-loreal" brands instead!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.