Chanel Rouge CoCo Shine in 91 Boheme

While it might appear that I am on a perpetual high-buy (because I am?), I actually make an active attempt to avoid browsing mid-range to high end western brands. After trying several, I rarely ended up loving any one of them (the only exception being Fresh Rose Extreme). Sometime it's the color that looks off, sometime it's the finish that doesn't agree with my lips. One thing I wanted to do is to try every brand at least once, just to collect different tubes. 

In my lipstick diary, many of my high end western brands lipsticks are linked with a piece of music because I kill time browsing lipstick before my concert-binge adventure. Chanel is special as it's purchased on New Years Day: There was no concert scheduled on that day, I happened to clogged my kitchen sink so I decided to go for a walk in the city, while waiting on the drain cleaner working its way through the dirty grease. Gurl, you so special...
Anyway, I was at Macy's swatching through all the Chanel Rouge Coco Shine (as I never owned any and thought, as a lipstick hoarder, I should) one shade stood up on the back of my hand. Yup, it was another sheer red, with a orange coral lean.

I have always been indifferent to Chanel packaging because (it ain't princess overkill) of a stigma that I have attached to it...Somehow, instead of elegant French women, I always associated this big labeled brand with the affluent housewives of Hong Kong, New Jersey or one of my cousins, someone who "married well" (my mom always said it with adoration) and someone who managed to give people a glimpse of her newest designer shoes no matter what picture she was sharing, be it a bottle of latte or her toddler son's school activities. I simply don't want to be one of them. 

I am guessing this is an unexpected side effect of Chanel's massive prestige and one that affect me subconsciously. Speaking of prestige (in makeup brand), I always say it with negative connotations because I feel that it's that thing costs you extra 10 to 20 bucks for no good reason.
 
Enough rambling, back to the lipstick. The Rouge Coco Shine has a slim black tube that looks and feels like the same material used by Suqqu creamy glow. For some reason while Suqqu feels metal, Rouge Coco feels more plastic? Was it because the contrast from the metallic gold interior? The inside of the cap has their signature logo hidden, something will delight the true fans.
The lipstick has an powdery old lady smell that reminds me of 90s big hair and dress suit (my mom did use Chanel lipstick back in the day). Texture is smooth, non-sticky one that goes on like apple glaze on the lips. It feels nicer than YSL sheer candy but that's not saying much (I find the sheer from YSL too thin and just sits on top of mouth). 

Overall, I find the quality of Rouge Coco Sheer similar to but a little lower than the sheer from Coffret D'Or and Jill Stuart. The Japanese two both feel and wear better but all three eventually sank deep into my lip lines when I wore them on any cold, dry day. Otherwise it's still a decent sheer formula coming from a western brand. It could be much worse (same quality as Essence), eh?
Boheme on the mouth...Dammit it's another one of those red orange/punchy pink mix that clashes with my skin tone and brings out every sallow bit. It looks particularly horrendous during winter but the clash lessens with increased blood flow as the weather is warming up. I will be able to wear it once in a while, reminding myself my poor judgment (no, I won't use tester on my mouth) and to never flush grease down the sink ever again. 

Just like a lipstick that doesn't work, caustic solution ain't cheap (and bad for pipes).

Comments

  1. Ok, I'll stay away from this

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not a bad formula (I think the shade clashing is totally personal too). I won't buy more main because I don't love the packaging but yeah, I probably won't get tempted by this line now I know how it's like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have mixed feeling about Coco Shine range but was sure that you'd love Boheme. It looks very pretty and much cooler on you than on me from where I see. I guess that person to person difference is bigger when it comes to sheer formulas. Unlike you, I do love the Chanel tubes (all of them, actually) the colors they do. The formulas are always inconsistent and sometimes questionable, though. I know that you are not into lipsticks with full coverage but do give Rouge Allure line a try if you ever are. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought fougueuse (sp?) a few weeks back and really like the tube! I am waiting on my neiborhood cherry blossom to bloom to give it pink backdrop.

      Delete
  4. Aww...that's too bad. I think the color's pretty on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did have a clashy lip line galore swatch picture for it but then they look really gross to be put up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shade looks great on your lips, I don't see the sallowness that you mention. Chanel is ridiculously expensive but I guess if people are willing to pay for that brand logo, might as well milk them for all they're worth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welp (And thanks)...I try not to put the ugly swatch pictures up but you know when you get the wrong shade and the first swipe just makes you "nope". I had one taken back in winter that it looked clown bright...

      After trying that Bobbi Brown Tinted balm, rouge coco actually feels like a high quality products. But anyway so far Chicca is my favorite sheer formula.

      Delete
  7. I never really got caught up with Bobbi Brown. They are owned by Estee lauder so I know that it's going to be similar quality to them, at premium prices. BB charge like a wounded bull down here in Australia. For that money, I'll rather buy Chanel or Lancome. I bought their long wear foundation same time last year. Hated it, ended up throwing it out. It smells so badly of lavender in a bad way. They always say they cater for every skin colour, but so does all the big brands like mac etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Bobbi Brown is reasonably popular here, their shimmer bricks used to be big hit (pun intended) and they gained lot of buzz for the Luxe lip color. Now it doesn't have much to do with the makeup artist herself so it's probably very Estee Lauder, minus the auntie name.

      Delete
  8. I have a hard time resisting Chanel lipsticks if the packaging is pretty, but I recently bought 2 from their spring collection (with the clicky packaging) and the quality is really mediocre. Only for the brand...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean rouge allure right? I was really tempted by Code Subtils (the rose beige quad) from spring but it didn't seem special when I swatched it. Now I missed it alltogether...

      I agree the double C can really lure people in.

      Delete
    2. Yess I got the Rouge Allure Velvet in 61 and 62

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.